Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax on second homes

Options
  • 02-09-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I own an apartment which I rent out, however I also rent a room in another apartment with friends - am I liable for the new €200 per annum property tax on second homes?

Thanks in advance for any info. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭TaxingTimes

Yes, it would appear so as you have an investment property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Accountancy

Hi,

The second home levy is payable on or before the 30th September. There is a late penalty of €20 per month or part there of.

It is payable on all rented properties holiday homes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi All
    I have a place in Carlow that is going into my name soon (Long story)Uncle died left it to me and was still in my Grandfathers name so I am waiting for it to go into my name now am I going to be charged 200 for this even if its not in my name atm
    I also have a place in turkey do I have to pay 200 for this
    There is a fine for late payers but I have not got a bill off the tax man
    How would I know about this if I did not read the paper or watch tv :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Hi

Here is the website you must make your payment through
    https://www.nppr.ie/.

A Non Principal Private Residence is any residence that is not your Principal Private Residence, in my opinion this would only apply to property within the state as the money is meant to be paid to Irish city / County Councils. You may wish to read the legislation to clarify this http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2009/4109/b41b09s.pdf

Enjoy :)

Regarding the property being transferred into your name, unless it is in your name at the 31st July then you will not be liable for this year so it would look like your Uncle is liable, however you might want to talk this over with your Uncle who is transferring the property.

The tax is self assessment, so you would never receive a bill and it is up to yourself to comply.....sucks but that is the law.

Regards,

Sean

http://www.accountingplusireland.com

Accounting Plus - Excellence Through Service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

swanvill wrote: »
    Hi

A Non Principal Private Residence is any residence that is not your Principal Private Residence, in my opinion this would only apply to property within the state as the money is meant to be paid to Irish city / County Councils. You may wish to read the legislation to clarify this http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2009/4109/b41b09s.pdf

Enjoy :)

Regarding the property being transferred into your name, unless it is in your name at the 31st July then you will not be liable for this year so it would look like your Uncle is liable, however you might want to talk this over with your Uncle who is transferring the property.

The tax is self assessment, so you would never receive a bill and it is up to yourself to comply.....sucks but that is the law.

Regards,

Sean

http://www.accountingplusireland.com

Accounting Plus - Excellence Through Service

Thank you sean
    But my Uncle is dead RIP and left it in a will to me It will take 1 more year before I can sell it

• Advertisement

The executors of the will should look into this and pay this in the name of the estate if relevant.

If you do not own it you can't be liable, and at the moment it is in the Estate of your late uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Simplyjoe

swanvill wrote: »
    Hi

Is there any way to pay this 'off line'. I have done a thorough search and cannot see any way of paying it. I rang my local council and they said they did not know what I was talking about .

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭makfli

As far as I know the only way to pay this is on- line. What happens if cant use a computer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Simplyjoe

makfli wrote: »
    As far as I know the only way to pay this is on- line. What happens if cant use a computer ?

Also how can you trust making a payment to this website when it appears not to be quoted on any other government website. Maybe it actually belongs to some dodgy blokes from gangsterland in Ireland or Nigeria!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

makfli wrote: »

You can bring the completed form and a cheque or postal order to your local authority to pay the €200. The cheques/drafts/postal orders should be made out to ''LGCSB NPPR" .

Tis all available on the website lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

I can actually handle paying the tax (holiday home) but what sickens me is that it does not apply to people with holiday homes abroad.

I have invested my money in Ireland in building the house and holiday in Ireland and yet i get 'punished' with this tax while people that invested their money abroad don't have to contribute. They should be taxed double the amount !! No doubt its not legally possible of course .........

Just remember that most countries impose a property tax based on a % of the value of the property.

That means that Irish people with homes abroad will be paying this tax in the relevant country, as will non-residents with properties in Ireland be liable to the Irish property tax here.

It is all swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Some people have already paid property tax in this country in recent years eg 50 or 100,000 is not uncommon in stamp duty terms. People have made a loss on property in recent years and cannot sell. Plus there are 100,000 plus empty dwellings in the country, partly diue to the govt keeping extending section 27 deadlines in 02, 03 etc. Looking for tax on a loss is adding insult to injury, and anyone I know is not going to pay. Why tax further those who invested in Ireland...those who invested abroad did not have to pay as much taxes / stamp duty etc. Another propertry tax will just send more money out of the country, instead of supporting investment in Ireland. Why would anyone ever buy a second property in Ireland if the tax will be 200 this year, 2000 next year, 10,000 the year after ? If nobody buys a second property in Ireland ( + everyone wants to sell ) our banks will not recover either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chipmonkey

As the OP only OWNS one property, I can't see why you woould have to pay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

yeah thats my problem too i own one property moved for work reasons am renting a house in another county am i liable?. I only own one property.

Thanks?

Advertisement