Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census history for Irish CITIES

Options
  • 01-09-2009 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hi, that census 1911 post got me thinking about the population trands of the cities in ireland, most documents show the counties population as a whole..any just for cities? id love to compare the population of the cities back 100 or 200 years ago!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine there is data somewhere, but the problem of bounaries arise. Post-Famine, ublin had a population of abut 300,000, but that was essentially within the canals. In the first half of the 20th century, the boundary expanded rapily as the city absorbed the surrounding townships, e.g. Pembroke, Rathmines, Clontarf.

So one has to be careful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What you want is www.cso.ie

The CSO has released stats on populations broken down to village level from 1911 to 1911 using the statistical tables produced for each census. They start with 1926, the first Free State census, but those tables compare the figures from 1911. I was just looking at it yesterday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement