Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DT204 Biomedical Science any1 starting???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Already PM'd but incase anybody else is wondering.

It was meant to be the 17th at 10:15am but that was a provisional timetable from last week it must have changed. Wait until you receive your official registration letter. The confirmed date and time will be on it.

Provisional timetables for all courses can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 20 checki-xx

ye i think your right, i got a letter today but it didn't tell me anything about when i hav to go in?! just says induction week starts the 14th. i saw on the website that the biomed registration is 17th. does that mean i don't have to go in on the 14th?

Yeah that's your official date then, i thought you meant your registration date was the 14th.

No you don't come in so until the 17th at 10:15am. LAB. no. 033/034, ground floor of main building.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I'm doing this course. Don't really know what to expect. There's like 40 in the class yeah? It's pretty small so we should all know each other by about the 2nd pint during that break we get orientation day.

See y'all then icon_nod.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Yillan - important point here. The induction timetable for the Science courses can be found on this page.
    http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/importantdates/

According to the timetable you will be registering at 10.15am on the Thursday, but your induction starts at 9am that morning, with the first talk at 9.30am in Gleeson Theatre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 the ag man

AWH yesh !!!!!!!!

I'm goin in to this course , got my welcome pack today and I'm starting to get excited!

If anyone has any questions about this course feel free to PM.

im the same dont no what to expect!! ye class is small i think...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

I've a friend going into second year now and the one thing he said was, you gotta work hard its no cake walk, but i knew that before going and im ready to get my teeth into it. :D

Ronanc wrote:
    its no cake walk

Just checked there

He's right. What a pity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jessie.90

Anyone know if u have to send Garda vetting forms to the college by post or drop them in or bring them on the day of registration????

:)

Jessie.90 wrote: »
    Anyone know if u have to send Garda vetting forms to the college by post or drop them in or bring them on the day of registration????

:)

Just bring it in when you're registering and they may collect them from the people who have the forms. There isn't really any rush on the Garda vetting, your tutor will let you know during the induction whe she wants them in by.

That's great, It's just that in the letter it said they had to be returned by the 18th and registration is on the 17th so I wasn't too sure.

Jessie.90 wrote: »
    That's great, It's just that in the letter it said they had to be returned by the 18th and registration is on the 17th so I wasn't too sure.

No problem, you should bring it in on the 17th so :). Garda vetting is new for Biomed at DIT, only became policy a few months ago. (Some trivial information for you :D)

Grands Stuffs!!! :) Can't wait to start now!! :D

What level of Maths are they going to expect of us in the beginning? I haven't done a sum in 4 years.

Edit: Also what is communications? I'm hoping some sort of filler module in which everyone gets an A1. And double also, when do the results of exams start to matter towards your overall degree?

Semester one Maths is more difficult than Semester two, which is more computer based (excel etc). You'll be covering Calculus, Functions, Algebra etc from upper ordinary to basic higher level leaving cert maths. It starts at a slow pace from the beginning, building on what you have studied week by week.

Look up the mathematics software called Derive and familiarise yourself with the basics of it, that will give you a slight head start. You'll use this software in your Maths labs, basically putting some lecture content into practice. Review of Derive here

Here's the lecture material for the first few lectures, enjoy ;). Don't be worrying about Maths, you'll be fine.

Yillan wrote: »
    Edit: Also what is communications? I'm hoping some sort of filler module in which everyone gets an A1. And double also, when do the results of exams start to matter towards your overall degree?

Communications is a bull**** module, don't worry you'll hate it. :pac: Luckily you only do it for Semester 1. It's not to be taken lightly though, you still have to pass it. A few people from my class failed it and had to repeat it because they didn't take it serious first time round haha. You'll have to do presentations to your class on various Biomedical subjects throughout the course of Semester 1. Here's the module description:

Learning Outcomes:

On successful completion of this module, the learner will be able to;
    1 Outline the theory and models of human communication.
    2 Discuss the principles of effective communication
    3 Describe the barriers to effective communication.
    4 Outline the principles of effective technical writing and report writing
    5 Discuss the characteristics of spoken communication
    6 Prepare and deliver effective oral presentations
    7 Describe presentation software available and prepare a presentation using Powerpoint
    8 Be able to use information retrieval systems

Module content:
    • Introduction to Communication theory.
    • The process of communication. Theories and models of human communication. Principles of effective communication. Barriiers to communication. Written communication.
    • The writing process. Principles of effective technical writing. Report writing. Other written forms, letters, memoranda and emails.
    • Oral and aural communication
    • The characteristics of spoken communication. The theory and practice of active listening.
    • Non verbal communication
    • The forms and functions of non verbal communication. Using non- verbal communication effectively. Visual communications.
    • Types of visual media. Using audio-visual technologies effectively. Software presentation packages e.g. Powerpoint.
    • Oral presentations
    • Preparation for an oral presentation. Techniques for effective oral delivery. Dealing with questions.

Regarding your overall degree grade, it only begins to matter in your 3rd/4th year. There's a 50% pass mark required in all modules of Biomed compared to the general 40% pass rate in most other third-level courses across the country. So once you get 50% you're fine, in first year aprt from self-satisfaction it doesn't matter if you get anything above that!

Cheers man thumb.gif

im not looking forward to that communications... !!!! cant wait to start tho... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

it very much sounds like one of the modules i did in my UCD course last year( Yeah im a refugee!! :eek: coming to DIT from a terrible course i neither wanted or liked and ive been welcomed with open arms to wonderfull DIT thank god!! :D:D basically a crash course in how to write scientifically as in using material, quoting correctly and the worst of it the bibliography:mad:

yeah im really excited about starting too!! see you thursday checki :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

HI, I am in sixth year right now and im thinking of doin biomedicine, id like to know what the course is all about. I do biology and chemistry now, will this be good enough for the course

Advertisement