Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping my pc secure on a lan

Options
  • 01-09-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

How do i keep my pc secure on a lan? For example if i connect to a college network, a lan at a gaming lan or some random wireless network.

How do i make sure no one else has access to my files and stuff.

I've never really thought too much into this but i'm wondering more now as i bring my laptop around with me.

I always thought just a windows account password should do the trick?

Any thoughts welcomed thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

One word. FIREWALL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

disabale the guest account for one.

does vista still share out root dirs like XP did? (lol, it does, C$)

a solid windows pw.

i guess a firewall :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't know what you mean about sharing root dirs etc. Are you saying that it might be doing it automatically or by default without me realising it?

As for firewall. I got fed up after a while with the last one i had. I think it was sygate :(

I think the guest account is enabled but i'll double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

kaimera wrote: »
    disabale the guest account for one.

does vista still share out root dirs like XP did? (lol, it does, C$)

That's an admin share and is perfectly normal. On a normal home PC, only local admins and the computer (SYSTEM) will be able to access it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_share

Advertisement