Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG Free will not install onto Vista

Options
  • 01-09-2009 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have my laptop for a while now i would say since start of July and McAfee 30 day free trial was fine but it ran out and ever since i have been trying to get AVG Free but every time it finishes downloading it says failed to initialize. or the user interface has stopped working. I have tried to click on it from start menu but i get the same message. i don't use the laptop anymore for obvious reasons. but is there anything i could do. i tried saving the file to a memory stick and then do it on the laptop but that gave same problem.
    I find it weird as in order to get a program that will save your pc you need to go online and risk getting infected

Thanks

T4RGET

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 HandsomePete

Dell Laptop?

After successful AVG installation on Dell laptops:
    avgfrw.exe - Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click OK to
    terminate the application.

avgtray.exe - Application Error - The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click OK to
    terminate the application.

=> The problem appears to be caused by a file being referenced in the registry that is not actually installed on the system.
    1. Uninstall AVG if it is still installed, then restart the computer.
    2. Use the registry editor (menu Start -> Run -> enter "regedit" and confirm OK) to locate and expand the following registry key:
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\DerivedData\Components\'

4. From the long list on the left, delete the following key:
    'x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_0c178a139ee2a7ed'.

5. Restart the computer and reinstall AVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Thanks mate will give it a shot? :D
    You are sure this will not delete any important files right?:p
    Thanks man,
    T4RGET

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

hi imo avg is just ok
    i would reccomend avira.
    its miles better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Running vista here on a laptop - Avast works perfectly file and its free!

Link: http://www.avast.com

To avoid putting ur laptop at risk use your pc to download and put it on the USB drive and then transfer to your laptop. Hope this helps you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xprepairs

T4RGET, you should use the McAfee uninstaller from their website to properly remove it, as there will be registry entries left over and NOTHING will work right if they remain on the PC.
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Then as was suggested, you may want to use Avast Free which IMO is the best free AV online....no scheduled scans, auto updates daily and great real-time protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭urallfish

xprepairs wrote: »
    T4RGET, you should use the McAfee uninstaller from their website to properly remove it, as there will be registry entries left over and NOTHING will work right if they remain on the PC.
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Then as was suggested, you may want to use Avast Free which IMO is the best free AV online....no scheduled scans, auto updates daily and great real-time protection.
    Just installed avast onto laptop its fairly hard to figure out does it scan itself and update itself? cant understand how to use it properly tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

urallfish wrote: »
    Just installed avast onto laptop its fairly hard to figure out does it scan itself and update itself? cant understand how to use it properly tbh

I'm not sure about auto-scanning, but it does update itself - I installed it a couple of days ago myself as an AVG replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xprepairs

avast scans automatically as you are surfing the net....there is nothing to set up.

ok so i installed avast as avg wont install now my sony vaio is freezing all the time since at start when windows opens says MARKETING TOOLS STOPPED WORKING!!! very annoying is it a virus? why are my programmes freezing? it only came back from sony after repair please help here! was not found in the setup.uninstalled avast and tried avg again this is what im getting i ununInstaller initialization failed due to the following error:
    Warning: Internal error. Dialog with id "AvgDetectedDlg"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

urallfish wrote: »
    ok so i installed avast as avg wont install now my sony vaio is freezing all the time since at start when windows opens says MARKETING TOOLS STOPPED WORKING!!! very annoying is it a virus? why are my programmes freezing? it only came back from sony after repair please help here! was not found in the setup.uninstalled avast and tried avg again this is what im getting i ununInstaller initialization failed due to the following error:
    Warning: Internal error. Dialog with id "AvgDetectedDlg"

I did a little google search ...check out this link:
    http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=791

It says to uninstall and(if you want to) reinstall AVG to get past that error...there is a specific removal tool for the AVG program...the Marketing issue is bizarre, never came across that before...hopefully someone else might shed some light on that for you...hope the link solves ur problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

google decrapifier, even if its not a new pc it works a treat for getting rid of the preinstalled rubbish

I did a little google search ...check out this link:
    http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=791

It says to uninstall and(if you want to) reinstall AVG to get past that error...there is a specific removal tool for the AVG program...the Marketing issue is bizarre, never came across that before...hopefully someone else might shed some light on that for you...hope the link solves ur problem :)
    Tried that still will not install error msge again its really annoying me, avg was not even there

Advertisement