Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curriculum Help

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello im looking for a list of books i can study in:

English
    History
    Maths
    Classical Studies
    Ancient greek
    Geography
    Religion

But I'm trying to study from home and have no idea on where to get a book list for the leaving cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Well for starters are you doing the leaving cert in 2010 or 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 westernworld

Lawliet wrote: »
    Well for starters are you doing the leaving cert in 2010 or 2011?

For English then this years single text is King Lear, and a good poetry book to get is This is Poetry 2010.

For history "Modern Europe and the wider world" and "Modern Ireland"

For Geography the textbook I had was Eco, but it's not great. You should probably look for a better one.

For Maths I had Discovering maths but I've heard that concise maths is better.

I haven't a clue about the rest of them I hope that helps. Anyway couldn't you ask a local school for their leaving cert book list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Subject Exclusions
    Candidates may not take any of following subject combinations: 1. Physics and Chemistry and either of the separate subjects, Physics or Chemistry.
    2. Economics and Agricultural Economics.
    3. Classical Studies and Latin.
    4. Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.

Source: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

there is a list of topics you choose from in classics. curriculum guide are available from the DES website, with the prescribed texts

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_classical_studies_sy.pdf?language=EN

i taught leaving cert classics, so pm me if you want more information and hopefully i can help you

• Advertisement

Hello im looking for a list of books i can study in:

History

I'm trying to study from home

Have you got a teacher lined up to supervise your project?

Edit: Only noticed now you have geography and religion as well. Boy you really know how to pick them. You need teacher supervision for these projects as well.

If you want to study solely from home you should throw in a few business subjects or languages if you are any good at them.

pathway33 wrote: »
    Subject Exclusions
    Candidates may not take any of following subject combinations: 1. Physics and Chemistry and either of the separate subjects, Physics or Chemistry.
    2. Economics and Agricultural Economics.
    3. Classical Studies and Latin.
    4. Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.

Source: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sb

I thought there might be something stopping me from doing two subjects so similar. Thanks for the info.

Have you got a teacher lined up to supervise your project?

Edit: Only noticed now you have geography and religion as well. Boy you really know how to pick them. You need teacher supervision for these projects as well.

If you want to study solely from home you should throw in a few business subjects or languages if you are any good at them.

Nope I'm doing it all alone unfortunately.

I didn't actually plan on doing any projects and was going to rely solely on the written examinations.

I know that projects can account for a large percentage of your overall grade but is it possible to get maximum marks without doing it???

Nead21 wrote: »
    there is a list of topics you choose from in classics. curriculum guide are available from the DES website, with the prescribed texts

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_classical_studies_sy.pdf?language=EN

i taught leaving cert classics, so pm me if you want more information and hopefully i can help you

Thanks very much for the link, I'm going to give it a look over now.

I know that projects can account for a large percentage of your overall grade but is it possible to get maximum marks without doing it???
    I think you just answered your own question there. You can't get an A1 -the maximum grade- if you skip the projects.
    In geography if you leave out the project then the maximum grade you can get is a B2 and that's only if you get full marks on the written paper.

Seriously, just find a way to do the projects or switch to subjects that don't require projects. Otherwise your cutting yourself of from a lot of points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Nope I'm doing it all alone unfortunately.

I didn't actually plan on doing any projects and was going to rely solely on the written examinations.

TROLL

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    TROLL

yeah whatever you retard

Lawliet wrote: »
    I think you just answered your own question there. You can't get an A1 -the maximum grade- if you skip the projects.
    In geography if you leave out the project then the maximum grade you can get is a B2 and that's only if you get full marks on the written paper.

Seriously, just find a way to do the projects or switch to subjects that don't require projects. Otherwise your cutting yourself of from a lot of points.

Thanks, will do.

yeah whatever you retard

How can you get the maximium grade in an exam without doing one of its components?

*waits for westernworlds ban.

you could swop ancient greek for hebrew studies. There's usually one person does it every year. Check out the chief examiners report here

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2007/hebrew_studies_lc_ce_report_2007_final_29_Jan_08.pdf

You can get the syllabus on www.education.ie and then click 'curriculum' on the left and follow the links

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    How can you get the maximium grade in an exam without doing one of its components?

*waits for westernworlds ban.

Well I thought that the project might have been available as optional way of making up points in certain subjects but not necessary for a full grade. Obviously i was wrong.

you could swop ancient greek for hebrew studies. There's usually one person does it every year. Check out the chief examiners report here

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/cer_2007/hebrew_studies_lc_ce_report_2007_final_29_Jan_08.pdf

You can get the syllabus on www.education.ie and then click 'curriculum' on the left and follow the links

Thanks a million for the help i just bookmarked both links.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Sorry yes I meant to say what I said in my later post in that post.

Advertisement