Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite coax - can it be used for audio digital coax

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Had the sitting room prewired for surround sound.

The electrician put in standard satellite coax cable running from my intended amp location to an intended subwoofer location. I will have rca termination plates at each end.

to connect my future subwoofer, i will connect it to a connection plate with the appropiate subwoofer cable (digital coax i believe). this in turn will be connected to the length of satellite coax which terminates on the opposite side of the room on another rca plate. i will use another short digital coax cable to connect the termination plate to the amp.

My question is,
    will the satellite coax cable suffice as an intermediary and not output any
    hum/noise.

i have my concerns as it is just standard satellite coax used, undoubtedly it wont be of high grade and shielding will be minimum.

I am in the prcoess of purchasing a sub anyway, but want to have a clear idea of my setup before i go ahead.

all input and advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Satellite coax can handle signals with frequencies in the Ghz range, which is hard.

In other words, they have a huge bandwidth.

Audio interconnects only have to handle from 1 hz to 20khz, which is comparatively easy, so yes, the satellite coax can do the job fine.

No cables produce hum or noise. They 'can' pick up noise from other sources unless they are well shielded. Satellite coax is well shielded.

Satellite coax can handle the job with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

the cable for sub woofers have use 2 cores, one for grounding and one for the signal. when you hook the satellite cable up to the wall plates use the core of the sat cable for signal and the shield copper mesh for the grounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

cnocbui wrote: »
    No cables produce hum or noise. They 'can' pick up noise from other sources unless they are well shielded. Satellite coax is well shielded.

correct. Serious oversight on my part syaing that they generate noise as opposed to picking up noise. d'oh!
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Satellite coax can handle the job with ease.

exactly what i wanted to hear! however I am assuming that the coax put in by the electrician is indeed satellite coax. This is what I asked him to put in and i's the same stuff used for my sky+ connection.
    big_moe wrote:
    the cable for sub woofers have use 2 cores, one for grounding and one for the signal. when you hook the satellite cable up to the wall plates use the core of the sat cable for signal and the shield copper mesh for the grounding.

yup, that's what I've done!

anyway, subwoofer is now ordered along with a pair of digital coax cables.
    should all work fine from what you are saying!
    if not i'll be back on here demanding answers! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

hey guys, just a quick update

got the subwoofer in and its up and running using the prewire coax.

initally had a hum in the subwoofer but does was due to poor contact between the shield and the outside of the rca connector on one of the plates.

anyway, just in case anyone ever resurrects this post when they are trying to find out if satellite coax can be used as subwoofer pre-wire.

The answer? - Yes it can!

Advertisement