Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Router -I cant see other pc's on network

Options
  • 01-09-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

hopefully an easy answer here....

Just changed from an Eircom Netopia router - wireless with 4 ports to a Cisco router - again wireless with 4 ports.

Changed from UTV broadband to UPC cable

Nothing changed on the config of the old PC's, literally unpluged from one router & plugged into the other. Problem is, I could see all the other pc's & printers when using the Netopia, but cant see any of them with the Cisco.

One PC using Vista & one using XP - both assigned to the same workgroup with sharing enabled - as I say only change being the cables moved from one router to another.

Presume its a setting on the router, but just not sure where to look ?

any ideas ?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Just an update on this - & wondering if this is my problem.

The router seems to be limiting IP addresses to 24 (see attached jpg), but my pc has an IP address of 39 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

Can't really help with your bigger problem, but the /24 in your picture is actually the CIDR formatted net mask (/24 == 255.255.255.0) - you don't need to worry about it greatly. All it means is that machines with ip addresses 192.168.1.x (where x is between 2 & 255) should be able to see each other just fine.

I'm assuming that you are using DHCP and that the cisco is setup to allocated addresses in the range 192.168.1.1

Might be worth making sure that all pc's on your network go through the DHCP process again. In windows try ipconfig /release and the ipconfig /renew. Once thats done make sure all PC's have an address in the range 192.168.1.x

If that doesn't solve your problem try pinging the ip's of machines you can't see
    Andip wrote: »
    Just an update on this - & wondering if this is my problem.

The router seems to be limiting IP addresses to 24 (see attached jpg), but my pc has an IP address of 39 ?

viboy wrote: »
    Can't really help with your bigger problem, but the /24 in your picture is actually the CIDR formatted net mask (/24 == 255.255.255.0) - you don't need to worry about it greatly. All it means is that machines with ip addresses 192.168.1.x (where x is between 2 & 255) should be able to see each other just fine.

I'm assuming that you are using DHCP and that the cisco is setup to allocated addresses in the range 192.168.1.1

Might be worth making sure that all pc's on your network go through the DHCP process again. In windows try ipconfig /release and the ipconfig /renew. Once thats done make sure all PC's have an address in the range 192.168.1.x

If that doesn't solve your problem try pinging the ip's of machines you can't see

Thanks for that - at least it stops me chasing around for the '24' bit.

I cant ping the other pc's on teh network, although they are now appearing under the 'Network' screen on my vista machine. If I try clicking on them it tells me that the network path was not found.

I've turned off firewalls & no luck there - key to this is that fact that I can't ping - released & renewed all ip's 7 all on the 168.192.1.xxx range !!

tearing my hair out here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

What's the router model? Are you 100% certain that these ports are bridged?

The new one is a Cicso EPC 2425.....

Bridging sounds interesting.....? Its almost as though one port cant see the other one...

the old one was a Netopia 2247

Checked ipconfig & all showing as on same network/gateway

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    What's the router model? Are you 100% certain that these ports are bridged?

If the router doesn't support bridging between the ports, can I plu a switch or hub into the router & get the bridging working that way ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Andip wrote: »
    can I plu a switch or hub into the router & get the bridging working that way ??

Yep, a switch is a (multiport) bridge. It's possible your router's interfaces are set up for routing rather than bridging (although TBH that would be odd on a home-user device).

FruitLover wrote: »
    Yep, a switch is a (multiport) bridge. It's possible your router's interfaces are set up for routing rather than bridging (although TBH that would be odd on a home-user device).

Thanks - I really appreciate your help - I'm just wading a bit out of my depth and as I work from home connectivity is a huge issue for me

Advertisement