Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane bridge Chief engineer.

Options
  • 01-09-2009 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the chief engineer who was in charge of the design and construction of the infamous Slane bridge?

I used to live in Slane and found some info on the net, mainly that it was built sometime in the 14th century, I had previously been told that Francis Johnson (engineer behind the east slane castle wall and gothic gate right beside the bridge) built the Bridge, which I've subsequently found out is false.

I have tried to contact Slane Historical Society but to no avail, and it appears their website has been down for sometime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Leidenfrost

Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Hi Op,

I can't seem to find any references to the identity of the original engineer of the Slane Bridge.

However, I have this nugget in my head from some bit of mythology or history or folklore I have read at some stage. Sorry I can't provide sources, but here goes:

The crossing of the Slane can only be completed by those who have learnt the wisdom of the salmon from the sacred hazel, a Scottish man will lay the foundations as a bridge builder between warring brothers, but until the rise of the ancients no bridge can cross this divide.

Good luck in your search, try googling libraries, many local and amateur historians are connected with local libraries and have some interesting information.

Advertisement