Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting a car sprayed by fás?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:51am

i was told there last week that you can get a car sprayed much cheaper by apprentices in fás.. apparently they're supervised by qualified lads aswell and a car would cost about e500 to get done as opposed to over e2000. ur man said that 2 years on, his car still looked good.

anyone hear good or bad stories about this? i've a 1990 car with no metallic paint so i'd be happy enough to take the risk i think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

why spend that amount of money on a respray in the first place .
    a detail would probably be the way to go instead of a few fas lads getting there hands on your car ,
    a detail on a car can be minor paint correction or major depending on the customer
    but it wont cost anywhere near e500
    just to clarify valeting is a quick job maybe an hour or 2
    detailing can take a day or 2 .
    giving results like these below
    some before's and afters's
    [URL="[IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/DUBLINHITMAN/DSC00057.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC00057.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="[IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/DUBLINHITMAN/DSC00058.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC00058.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="[IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/DUBLINHITMAN/DSC00062.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC00062.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="[IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/DUBLINHITMAN/DSC00066.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC00066.jpg[/URL]
    http://DSC00091.jpg
    [URL="[IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/DUBLINHITMAN/DSC00109.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC00109.jpg[/URL]
    [URL="[IMG]http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/DUBLINHITMAN/DSC00112.jpg[/IMG]"]DSC00112.jpg[/URL]

anyway i think you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

a detail would probably be the way to go instead of a few fas lads getting there hands on your car ,

Yeah detail could work. But his car is very old. I'm imagining a Red car faded to pink :D

What you could do is put the money towards some IT consultancy work and create a website advertising your need to get your car re-painted.

www.mycompany.com ;)

Yeah detail could work. But his car is very old. I'm imagining a Red car faded to pink :D

got it in one :P

anyways, as far as detailing goes, i got 3 layers of compounding and got i waxed on friday.. no pink left but a few bad blemishes on right side of car. one 3 foot scratch and a few bits up near bumper that have been filled in. :(

its the lad who detailed it that was tellin me about fás.. absolute labour of love keepin this yoke perfect

bump.

i really want to see if anyone knows more..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

What you could do is put the money towards some IT consultancy work and create a website advertising your need to get your car re-painted.

www.mycompany.com ;)

Could someone explain what a detail is ? is it similar to compunding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Fás have links with NASA, so you should be alright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Ads, I think you should go for it.
    The reality is, if they make a balls of it, you will have the leverage to get the job corrected.
    Think of it like this, FAS want to train and produce proper skilled workmen. The teachers reputation rests on the quality of the students released into the workplace.
    Now, if FAS release Joe Muppet to the workplace, FAS won't be long hearing about it. Hence FAS not doing the job that it is supposed to.
    If FAS release Joe Can Do The Job Right into the workplace, FAS gets more funding, and of course teacher recognition for the excellent job he has done.
    In the instance that you , as a paying customer, are not happy with the work, you are entitled to get a re-spray. This is just like a real life scenario that the spray man will encounter.
    Th problem will be dealt with, until the customer is happy, or the job is done right. Just like real life.
    I think you should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cashmni1 wrote: »
    The reality is, if they make a balls of it, you will have the leverage to get the job corrected. .................The problem will be dealt with, until the customer is happy, or the job is done right. Just like real life.

This all seems divorced from reality, no offence.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This all seems divorced from reality, no offence.

None taken, but my point being, they will have to stand over the work.
    Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean they can't do it properly. (OK not like life really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Just wondering how you would go about making contact with FAS to get this job done. I would chance it on my 1991 diesel merc. Only flaw it has is the paintwork, no rust.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The reality is, if they make a balls of it, you will have the leverage to get the job corrected.
    Think of it like this, FAS want to train and produce proper skilled workmen. The teachers reputation rests on the quality of the students released into the workplace.
    Now, if FAS release Joe Muppet to the workplace, FAS won't be long hearing about it. Hence FAS not doing the job that it is supposed to.
    If FAS release Joe Can Do The Job Right into the workplace, FAS gets more funding, and of course teacher recognition for the excellent job he has done.
    In the instance that you , as a paying customer, are not happy with the work, you are entitled to get a re-spray. This is just like a real life scenario that the spray man will encounter.
    Th problem will be dealt with, until the customer is happy, or the job is done right. Just like real life.
    None taken, but my point being, they will have to stand over the work.
    Just because it's cheap, doesn't mean they can't do it properly. (OK not like life really)
    I can't speak for their trainers in this area but as someone who trained many courses for FÁS (in IT), a large proportion of my students were as useless when they finished as they were when they started (and before the cynics suggest, it wasn't a reflection on myself!)! Many of them 'completed' the course simply to do it.
    Anyhow, I would imagine that the trainer won't stand over the quality of the work as otherwise they would spend most of their time respraying botched jobs!
    I stand to be corrected but I bet I'm right. Furthermore, I would take it that if you were to submit your car as a donor car, the first thing that you would have to do is sign a disclaimer!

kbannon wrote: »
    I can't speak for their trainers in this area but as someone who trained many courses for FÁS (in IT), a large proportion of my students were as useless when they finished as they were when they started (and before the cynics suggest, it wasn't a reflection on myself!)! Many of them 'completed' the course simply to do it.
    Anyhow, I would imagine that the trainer won't stand over the quality of the work as otherwise they would spend most of their time respraying botched jobs!
    I stand to be corrected but I bet I'm right. Furthermore, I would take it that if you were to submit your car as a donor car, the first thing that you would have to do is sign a disclaimer!

Hmmmmmm, looks like I stand corrected then so.
    Fair enough.
    I don't have first hand experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Nice car!

OBC in a '90 318is, and a M-Tech II kit? Was that once a 325 Sport ?

I'd a '91 318is (loved it, sorry I sold it), and had the pink bloom too. I left it into a place to get new brakes and told the owner to let his son detail it. (they had a small spray booth/body repair thing going on). It came back sparkling.

I'd go to your local paint sprayers and let the apprentices there have a bash. Private businesses are gonna be more critical of their padawans than any Fás teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

a detail on a car can be minor paint correction or major depending on the customer
    but it wont cost anywhere near e500
    just to clarify valeting is a quick job maybe an hour or 2
    detailing can take a day or 2 .
    giving results like these below
    some before's and afters's

Would you like to detail my capri? It has 2x panels sprayed the wrong colour and rust issues on the rear arch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

yeah i'd love to buddy but i'm in laois and unless you want to pay extra for the journey down or if you could get it up to me
    i can recomend some one in the cork region if interested ,
    he's actually well known for his work on classic cars
    pm me if you would like his details pardon the pun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i would imagine that you wouldnt want to be in a rush to get your car back either as the emphesis would be on the training rather then the service to the customer!
    having said that ive a handfull of dents that could do with being popped out and resprayed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Does anyone have any contact number for getting a respray with FAS ?
    another question ? would they paint motorbike panels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

ADS: was that Feens or Dicko that told you about getting it painted by FAS? Would be interested in this myself if the results are in anyway decent.

wasnt talkin to feens about it.. nd dunno who dicko is? just the lad who was detailing the car in galway told me he got his sprayed and it worked out well.

i'd get her done by christmas if i could trust that it'd be ok..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

got it in one :P

anyways, as far as detailing goes, i got 3 layers of compounding and got i waxed on friday.. no pink left but a few bad blemishes on right side of car. one 3 foot scratch and a few bits up near bumper that have been filled in. :(

its the lad who detailed it that was tellin me about fás.. absolute labour of love keepin this yoke perfect

It look like the beamer that was in pure mule on the telly last night......

haha not it :P the lad i bought this one off owned the one in pure mule before.. it's a 316 i think

haha not it :P the lad i bought this one off owned the one in pure mule before.. it's a 316 i think
    My recollection of the Original Pure Mule series was that the E30 was a six pot!

kbannon wrote: »
    My recollection of the Original Pure Mule series was that the E30 was a six pot!
    judgin from this thread, it appears not..

http://www.e30owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7438

i bought my car of the OP and he doesn't have any reason to lie.. he was tellin me about the 316 he had months ago!

fair enough - my memory ain't what it was

is bavarian board worth joining actually? never been on it

take a look and decide for yourself - I don't want to be pimping

Advertisement