Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Treaty (1992 TV film)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think it was a little bit more factual than the Micheal Collins film a few years later. I remember watching it in school. Your local history teacher prob has a copy. RTÉ are very bad with releasing programmes on DVD and with repeat showing of programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I have an old copy of it on VHS - it was released on video at the time. I haven't watched it some time though. It is quite good but too much time IMO is devoted to the affair that Lloyd George had with his secretary. He calls her "Pussy" - really. It soft peddles through the Black and Tan issue also - a slight discussion on this between Lloyd George and Churchill. But the official discussions on the actual Treaty are good.

But you can see a copy on sale for 130 sterling? Wow -

MarchDub wrote: »
    It soft peddles through the Black and Tan issue also - a slight discussion on this between Lloyd George and Churchill. .

Thames co-production with RTÉ? 1992? MMMMM

wonder why? To late for Thames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Cheers folks. Can't really think of a local history teacher that would either have a library of films or be willing to lend it to me. I've a feeling the only way I'll find a copy is in a charity shop as they're the only ones that still have video tapes.

I might give RTE an email and see what happens.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Alan, i think i have a copy of it on VHS in my parents

• Advertisement

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

It's really good and very factual, Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the "Big Fella". Way more balnaced and accurate than that trash "Michael Collins".

The above smiley just means I'm shocked someone has a copy of it :p
    Agent, have you any idea who distributed it ? I'd love to know who owns the dist. rights actually.

Btw, did you ever watch it ?

It's really good and very factual, Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the "Big Fella". Way more balnaced and accurate than that trash "Michael Collins".

In what ways was it more balanced than Michael Collins ? Why would you call that film "trash" ? I know it's historically inacurate in places but I didn't think the film rewrote that much history . Did it ?

yeah, saw it years ago in school. and then saw in a car boot sale, being the big collins fan, I had you buy it.

i can send it to you if you really want.

• Advertisement

I saw that youtube vid there when I was trying to search about it. I actually mistook it for news reel footage or a documentary at first.

Re: video, I'll PM ye :)

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    In what ways was it more balanced than Michael Collins ? Why would you call that film "trash" ? I know it's historically inacurate in places but I didn't think the film rewrote that much history . Did it ?

You will find that the Micheal Collins film is very pro-treaty, with little reflection on the issue of the impending Civil War or the question of Northern Ireland which would later be thrown into the Troubles due to the inequalities of Northern Ireland society during the 1950s and 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I can remember watching this as a 6 year old. But it was defo earlier than '92, around 1990 i would have thought. Its excellent though, Brendan Gleeson is uncanny as Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

grenache wrote: »
    I can remember watching this as a 6 year old. But it was defo earlier than '92, around 1990 i would have thought. Its excellent though, Brendan Gleeson is uncanny as Collins.

It premiered on RTE in December 1991, the 70th anniversary of 'The Treaty'

I watched Michael Collins for the first time in years. I was shown it in school when it came out and saw it a few times in pieces since. I always knew many people disliked it due to liberties taken with historical facts. I'm a fan of film so I know that you're getting a work of art of fiction and not a historical document. I had looked at the list on the wikipedia page outlining some of the major errors and on paper I didn't think they were that significant. But when you watch the film, there are definitely some overall impressions you get from it. Mainly that De Valera is a cowardly character that sent Collins to London to negotiate the Treaty for his own political gain .

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I'm a fan of film so I know that you're getting a work of art of fiction and not a historical document.

I personally didn't like the film on an Art level either. It comes across as a bit Irish twee in places, certainly it was made for an American audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Back on topic the treaty with gleeson is very good i watched it in school in 6th year and was very much enraptured it isnt a documentary but it is very factual:)

Advertisement