Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does everyone get their money?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I've been working for the past 21/2 years, finishing up this week, starting 6th year on Friday. It was only a small job, like 5 hours a week, but it was enough for a pack of fags and some beer money for the weekend.

Now that I have no income, I'm wondering where the fcuk everyone gets their money from? I mean, I know people that never had a job but enjoyed the same lifestyle as I did for the last year or two, and I'm sure will continue into this year.

So could anyone tell me where they get their spending money etc if they don't or never have worked? Communion money still doing the business?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

^Thats pretty much it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Really?

I know we'd get money for schoolbooks and sh1t like that, but the idea of asking my parents for money to go out on the piss at the weekend just seems wrong:confused:

Maybe I just like my independence but does anyone else feel bad getting money off the oul pair at our age?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Reillyman wrote: »
    Really?

I know we'd get money for schoolbooks and sh1t like that, but the idea of asking my parents for money to go out on the piss at the weekend just seems wrong:confused:

Maybe I just like my independence but does anyone else feel bad getting money off the oul pair at our age?
    You crazy? Take it while you can:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Socializing is an important part of teenage development, therefore its only right that the parents pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Im getting a lot of guinness money by giving guitar lessons, chemistry grinds and playing gigs about the shop.

Im getting a lot of guinness money by giving guitar lessons, chemistry grinds and playing gigs about the shop.

Which reminds me, I'm selling my Marshall if ya know anyone that wants it.

*Sniff Sniff

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mardybumbum
    *Sniff Sniff
    I'm sorry, I know it's immature, but I'm falling off the chair here!!! :D

Okay, dunno if yer laughing at me or him:confused:

Back to the topic, mods should know better than this.:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Okay, dunno if yer laughing at me or him:confused:
    Just the juxtaposition ... :pac:
    Back to the topic, mods should know better than this.:p
    True!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Yeah My mam is always telling me that she wants me to live my life and have a proper teenage life..of course their hinting me to get a job :pac:

I'd feel bad fr getting anything big,but for money to go out with friend or jsut heading into town then meh.

When I'm going into colledge,then I'll feel bad *L*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I worked 2 jobs last Summer and was a reader for a girl doing her JC last year so the money I saved from that lasted me a while, though I spent way too much this Summer. I have about enough money for the next few months, but lately I've been asking for money more and more off my parents. I don't really like it, it's not nice having to ask money for something every day, I much preferred the independence of "I like it, I want it, I'm buying it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Can't find a job at the moment but might have something lined up coming into Christmas at weekends.

Get money off the parents mostly but I do work around the house outside and help out to lessen the guilt. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Which reminds me, I'm selling my Marshall if ya know anyone that wants it.

*Sniff Sniff

I dont know anyone looking for a marshall at the moment.
    Why are you selling it? Twas a decent enough amp.

Why are you selling it?

Because I just got laid off, would rather not sell it but times are bad...
    Twas a decent enough amp.

And it still is Sir! Good as new!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Get anything from €35 - €50 a week off the parents, and if I need more I just use money I saved from having 2 jobs last summer (worked 7 days of 12 hour shifts during that time).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Up until around a week after Oxegen I was sponging off them all the time.

I have since gotten a job, so the good days are over!

I'd say I have enough for 1st year now (Parents have said they'd pay for academic costs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I do, but my parents always offer me the money. But then I don't out that often, if I was going out every weekend they probably wouldn't be so generous!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Babysitting / elderly relatives, I'd like to emphasize the slash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

phew... weeeeeeeeell......

i just finished the leaving cert (which is not as bad as people make out to be by the way!!)

my family wouldn't be flush with cash so i HATE asking my parents for money, so if i can avoid it then i will...

I started working right after the junior cert, all summer, 7 days a week in a gift shop.... then weekends during school... In TY, after school I would work in a chinese takeaway from 5 til 11, then at weekends id work in the gift shop from 10-5 and the chinese from 5:30-11. I paid for EVERYTHING in TY... i hate people who have money handed to them!

Then in fifth yr I kept the job in the gift shop and did a few hours in a local supermarket until i told the boss to stuff her job...

Then in 6th yr the gift shop closed so i got a job in a cafe... the boss was a bitch but i had to keep the job... until i got fired for asking for my wages which were 4 weeks late (she's had the company liquidated since i left)

Then... i got a job with a newspaper (i know the editor) doing journalistic stuff and advertising etc... and im working 50 hours a week...

BUT now im moving to maynooth in 2 weeks and im freaking out about what im gonig to do!! i have paid for all of my accommodation (until xmas) and i have the money for registration, books, etc... but when that's gone, i have no money for foooooood! (oh well theres an apple tree outside my apartment in college:))

so im now looking in maynooth for a job (i might have one in an ice cream stall :) im gonna get so fat)

so... my point is , you gotta work for your dough!!!

(try giving up the fags, i know people who did and they cant believe how much they saved! I haven't drank much this summer at all and ive saved so much too!)

• Advertisement

Get a job u lazy bum...

Hmm, in case you haven't read previous posts, I lost my job, hints the thread...

But well done on the employment front, wouldn't be many others that could work that hard.
    ... i hate people who have money handed to them!

I know, these people have no souls...:p

"Hmm, in case you haven't read previous posts, I lost my job, hints the thread..."

Sorry, get a job u lazy bum is just one of my commonly used phrases, I was moreso directing it at the people who rely on daddy.......

"But well done on the employment front, wouldn't be many others that could work that hard."

Thanks, but i didnt have a choice really, it was either work or dont do or get anything or go anywhere!

"I know, these people have no souls...tongue.gif"

It'd really suck not having a soul... you'd just be "the guy with no soul":eek:

There is this little button, down there
    v

It's big and blue and says QUOTE on it!:D

There is this little button, down there
    v

It's big and blue and says QUOTE on it!:D

i know i know, but i had already hit reply and i couldnt have been arsed going back... come on like, im working 50 hours a week! im tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I was moreso directing it at the people who rely on daddy.......
    That's totally sexists.

...I'm relying on mammy

Seriously though, I don't get how people can work a job while studying for the leaving. I mean not only are you at school full time, but you've got homework and study, it's a job in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I worked weekends during 4th and 5th year and during the summers I worked pretty much full time. Gave it up at the start of 6th year for obvious reasons but the money I had saved was enough to last me during sixth year and this summer. Although most of that money is gone now due to some mildly excessive spending during 6th year (30 quid a week for transport and another 20 for food). Haven't asked my parents for money since I started working in 4th and would feel guilty doing so. Hopefully I can get a job during college so I wont be completely broke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

In all seriousness and honesty i got a job when i was in TY from work experience so i worked at weekends, then was doing mad hours that summer,
    worked all through fifth year, summer of fifth year...stopped working in the october of 6th year...so i survived on that money for a while..now back working...
    then again my parents do give me money if i ever needed it...
    i dont get pocket money so to speak but my mam would give me money if i asked, which isnt too often really...

Advertisement