Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter tonight?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 10:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just whipped out the binoculars to check out the moon there, and then took a peep at what I thought was Venus. to my surprise I could clearly see a string off moons around the planet, meaning it was Jupiter I was looking at (doesnt it?)

I've never seen Jupiters moons so clearly before, the binoculars I have arent great so I'm delighted with that. (I'm in D15 btw)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Gaspode wrote: »
    Hi all,
    just whipped out the binoculars to check out the moon there, and then took a peep at what I thought was Venus. to my surprise I could clearly see a string off moons around the planet, meaning it was Jupiter I was looking at (doesnt it?)

I've never seen Jupiters moons so clearly before, the binoculars I have arent great so I'm delighted with that. (I'm in D15 btw)

'Tis Jupiter alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

So is Jupiter the cool little bright white dude hanging out just across from the moon? I have a pair of binoculars and I have never been able to see anything that clearly. I can see the moon in OK detail but not that much detail. They look like decent binoculars too. I'm in D24.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Yes it was left of the moon last night at 12 in D24, very clear. Hope it is clear tonight, might get the bino's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I was transfixed last night by it so. It was my first real night where I could actually get a clear view of the moon and Jupiter. Jupiter was amazing. I couldn't work out exactly what I was seeing. It seemed to have a kind of glare and something else I couldn't make out. Fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I thought that the Jupiter appearance is a recent thing (i.e. day or two)

I have been looking at a bright object to the left of the moon (at 9pm-ish) for the last couple of weeks but I thought this was the ISS. (it seems to be moving across the sky)

can anyone clear this up

Edit: here's a quote: People across Ireland will have a rare opportunity to see Jupiter visible as a brilliant 'star' just beneath the Moon tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Riskymove wrote: »
    I thought that the Jupiter appearance is a recent thing (i.e. day or two)

I have been looking at a bright object to the left of the moon (at 9pm-ish) for the last couple of weeks but I thought this was the ISS. (it seems to be moving across the sky)

can anyone clear this up

Edit: here's a quote: People across Ireland will have a rare opportunity to see Jupiter visible as a brilliant 'star' just beneath the Moon tonight.

Jupiter has been visible for many months, but has gradully begun to appear earlier in the southern horizon. The ISS passes overhead and out of view over 2+ minutes, the constant dot you are seeing (which is now next to the moon) is Jupiter. The relative movement of the moon will now give the appearance of Jupiter being beneath it. Binoculars should give you a good view of the moons, but perhaps not tonight if you have the light of the moon to compete with.

Edit: Is the above a forecast occultation or is it just sitting below?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Seen her last night but tis crapola out there tonight :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Hal1 wrote: »
    Seen her last night but tis crapola out there tonight :(.

Just take a look at this.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Also check the links on the left at satellites to see for cloud cover... I think we might have some clear skies later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

She's been up there for a couple of months now and looking fantastic. Looked great in Dublin last night.

Even from here it looks big!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

riptide wrote: »
    Just take a look at this.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Also check the links on the left at satellites to see for cloud cover... I think we might have some clear skies later. :)

Aye met.ie is useful for the rain radar, but I mainly use sat24's IR loop. It updates every 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Aye met.ie is useful for the rain radar, but I mainly use sat24's IR loop. It updates every 15 minutes.

CooL! That is really good. Added to bookmarks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I tend to use EUMETSAT although it only updates every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Just looked outside now and wish I had a pair of binoculars or something better. :(

The view looks amazing here in Portugal with no urban lighting effecting the view.

Advertisement