Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Dsl line

Options
  • 31-08-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have an Eircom dsl line coming into my comms room which I have to move to another room in the factory. I want to leave the existing cable in the comms room just in case it ever moves back and run a new cable from where the line comes into the building.

In my comms room the cat 5 cable is punched into a little black box (some kind of filter I think) then terminated in an Eircom NTU box. I was wondering would anyone know what exactly this is and where I could get one.
    Sorry about quality of pics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It appears to be a simple junction box. odd that four pins are connected on one side while eight are connected on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Miley

I traced it back and only 2 pairs are in use, the other 2 are redundant. Im not sure why they were punched in. Do you think this is needed or could I connect directly into the NTU. There does seem to be some kind of a circuit in it

You're not giving me enough information with regards your network layout.

is this your layout

Phone-line -> NTU -> Cat5 cable to junction box -> rj45 connection -> Modem -> cat 5

The phone line need to go into the back of an ADSL modem, for some reason you seem to be running the phone line over Ethernet cable from the NTU to the Junction box and then (I guess) phone cable to the ADSL modem. This is the only thing that I can see making sense.

If this is the case, you'l be able to run phone cable directly from the NTU in the back of the ADSL modem and ignore the junction box.

The layout is

Phone line in -> Junction Box -> NTU -> Cisco 1700

The thing is I want to move the NTU and Cisco 1700 to another location leaving the junction box where it is. I hope to run a cable from where the phone line enters the building to the 2nd location and put a 2nd junction box here if its needed.
    This way I can leave the original cable to the comms room just in case I have to move back

Yea sure, that will work.

• Advertisement

Do you think I need this junction box or can I terminate phone line straight into NTU

should be able to just run a line from the existing junction box to the NTU.

Advertisement