Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequences

Options
  • 31-08-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Not in the habit of putting things online but I need some advice.

I've recently got involved with a guy who'd been involved with someone for 6 years and ended that relationship to give things a try with me. Nothing happened before it ended but there was too much chemistry and attraction for us to ignore.
    The girl was in her late 30s (he's 15 years older than me)and is devastated. I completely understand her position as no doubt she thought it was forever. It's a small town and at the moment he's the worst in the world. For the last 2 months we've been secretly seeing each other, dinners out of town, weekends away, etc and there is no doubt about it, he's my soulmate. He's at the stage where he wants to tell the world and while I am happy to do that I'm a bit concerned how we'll cope when people are talking about us and giving their opinion. I live in a small town where everyone has an opinion about everything and isn't afraid to share it. I'm not good at confrontation and I wouldn't be great at defending myself but I don't want to loose this either. Any advice would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well you can always tell your partner how you feel - and wait another while before telling everyone. It's going to be awkward at any point in a small town but ye have nothing to be ashamed of, he didn't run off with you cheating. He broke up with his gf, and then you guys started dating. I can understand you don't want his ex to really find out yet as she's upset but she'll find out one day. You don't have to 'tell the world' but you can let close family and friends know and just ignore if people have bad things to say. You shouldn't have to defend yourself.

Advertisement