Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Fitting Confusion!

Options
  • 31-08-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to play golf again after many years. From a driving range visit,i found out i can still play my irons well and have started go get some lessons. Handicap i'd say would be in the region of 20.
    Aim to buy new clubs in the next few weeks. Was planning to get them custom fitted also.
    As I am to get more lessons,should I wait longer to get new clubs as my swing may change due to the lessons?
    If I were to get new clubs next week for example,get them custom fit to suit my CURRENT swing,could it be possible that my new clubs may not suit me in the long run as my swing changes(due to the lessons)?
    I'm not sure what to do....
    Also,I was planning on buying my clubs at American Golf in Dundrum. They offer custom fitting,for free. But everyone seems to recommend Foregolf in Naas,who charge €100. Will American Golf's custom fitting not be up to standard(as it's free)? Is it a waste for someone of my playing abilities(handicap low 20's) to fork out €100 for custom fitting,or will American Golf's fitting be of sufficient standard for the likes of me?

Zak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

I say wait till after your lessons.

On your comment about american and fore golf I can't comment.

I have got some clubs from fore golf and no problems at all with the service but never bought from American.

I would recommend if you are buying new clubs is not look at the brands etc otherwise you might go for a certain clubs over a different one because of the make.

Fore I think nearly stock all brands if they don't stock them all

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

Was just wondering what you should expect to get when you are custom fitted. Asked about it myself and got the impression that you were just measured for the clubs. I had the idea that you would be checked for swing speed and other technical stuff.
    I guess that you can get good and bad but wouldnt mind knowing what is involed so you dont get BS of the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

play for 3-4 months
    get fitted for early next year
    and play your way into next season imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

yeah,i'm leaning towards getting more lessons and practising more before i get my new clubs...will probably(hopefully) have a better swing by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 updadeise

soundsham wrote: »
    play for 3-4 months
    get fitted for early next year
    and play your way into next season imo

@op I would have to agree with soundsham, get your lessons you will know then if you are going to keep the game up. Don't be drawn in by the carrott (free fitting) there are other elements that are taken into account when being fitted other than just dimensions you should be asked whether you want to be set up for swing weight or MOI. Swing weight is pretty easy to explain ie if your favourite club is the 7 iron all your irons can be tailored accordingly. MOI is far more technical fit this takes shaft flex swing speed into account. Sit tight and enjoy the lessons and try not worry about fitting you'll just end up confusing yourself and it might turn you off.

ta updadeise:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

thanks updadeise,that's what i'm going to do...try to get better through lessons/practice before i purchase new clubs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Tbh, the only reason some off a handicap of around 20 should get custom fit clubs is if they are extra tall or extra short. Other than that it's really of no benefit, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Tbh, the only reason some off a handicap of around 20 should get custom fit clubs is if they are extra tall or extra short. Other than that it's really of no benefit, imo.

So, for a shorter person, would that mean shorter shafts or tilting the head down slightly so the toe isn't off the ground ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭george67

So, for a shorter person, would that mean shorter shafts or tilting the head down slightly so the toe isn't off the ground ?

generally it means 1 or 2 degree flat custom fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

george67 wrote: »
    generally it means 1 or 2 degree flat custom fit

Not up to speed on all the jargon...
    So by one or two degree flat - you mean the tilt I was referring to in my original question to ensure the club head is flat on the ground from heel to toe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Not up to speed on all the jargon...
    So by one or two degree flat - you mean the tilt I was referring to in my original question to ensure the club head is flat on the ground from heel to toe?

Correct - this pic explains it better I think...

loftlieangle.jpg

Advertisement