Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing Third Year Subjects

Options
  • 31-08-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Sorry if this isn’t the exact forum for this question but it is linked somewhat so maybe someone can help.

I have to choose two subjects from chemistry, microbiology or botany for third year science.

I find all of them interesting but chemistry is obviously more difficult.

I have no idea which I want to do for fourth year or what I want to do after college.

My question to ye is this - which of the above subjects would be best to do, simply with regard to ease of employment and also money.

Cheers for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

At this stage you should be starting to get an inkling as to what area you like. Science is really interesting if you get the area your interested in but can be really dull otherwise.

Maybe read a few books not directly linked to your course to see if they float your boat. Parasite Rex is a great one vaguely related to Micro. Mr. Bloomfield's orchard is great on botany (mycology) and there are loads for Chemistry. Oh and Radical brewing for more micro.
    And Dancing naked in the mind field. If one of those doesn't turn you on you ain't got no switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Chemistry
    Plenty of opportunities with chemistry, especially when combined with microbiology. Quality assurance and Quality control work are possible. These jobs may not be exciting but they are out there.

Microbiology
    Again, QA and QC and there is the possibility of getting into MedLab technician from this but once again a top-up course may be required. You could ask about this on the Bio and Med forum.

Botany
    Potential careers would be within the botanic gardens or perhaps horticulture, although I imagine that you would need a horticultural top-up course on top of the degree.

That's just 'off the top of my head' answers. If you sit down and think about it there are loads of opportunities. Do you want to do an advanced degree? MSc or PhD?

As cavedave says, you must know if you like any of these subjects. Think about it a bit more, come up with some specific questions and we may (or may not) be able to help. :)

Teaching is also an option with all three I guess.

Advertisement