Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHONE EXTENSION problem

Options
  • 31-08-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have attached a diagram of my house with phoneline. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

How exactly are you connecting them back?
    What cable are you using?
    Are you using a line splitter/adaptor in the sitting room?

If you are
    - plug in the hallway phone at the splitter and see if it works.
    If it does and the phone doesn't work with the extension cable, then it's the cable.
    If it doesn't, plug it directly into the wallport in the sitting room and check to make sure that the phone works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vipereire

I am using cable that with white/blue and blue/white. I opened the sittingroom socket and it has line from pstn into it and then another line connected to same socket which leads to hallway. I am using a splitter for dsl/phone and sky+ in sittingroom. The line leading to hallway is in the attic. Then the lead from the hallway socket to bedroom.
    I have looked in the attic, the pstn line runs down to sittingroom, then a line connected to same sitting room socket comes back up to attic leading to hallway. This lead is cut and then connected to another. i have made sure the white/blue and blue/white are connected properly.
    I have a feeling this could be the problem, do I need to replace?

The breakdown is between the hallway and the sitting room:

I opened the sittingroom socket and it has line from pstn into it and then another line connected to same socket which leads to hallway. I am using a splitter for dsl/phone and sky+ in sittingroom.

So when you plug your phone into the sitting room socket does it work?
    What connectors in the phone socket are the wires connected to?

The line leading to hallway is in the attic...a line connected to same sitting room socket comes back up to attic leading to hallway. This lead is cut and then connected to another

Get a phone socket and connect the broken wire into it(the side that is connected directly back to the sitting room) making sure there is good contact. Plug in a phone & check it.
    If it doesn't work, reverse the wires & try again.

Still not working? Are you sure the wires in the sitting room leading into the attic are a) connected correctly to the correct points in the socket and b) making good contact down there?

If it does work, try the wiring at the hallway end with the socket.
    If it's not working in the hallway, try reversing the wires.
    What connectors in the phone socket are the wires connected to?

The broken cable should be okay as long as it is connected correctly and it is covered in insulating tape or something to stop the wires(i.e. the blue/white and white/blue) making contact with each other

What you need to do is troubleshoot at each point along the way to the hallway to see where the breakdown is.
    The initial cable may be connected to the wrong points in the sitting room socket.
    The broken cable may be reconnected but the wires could be reversed or hitting off each other.
    The cable could be connected to the wrong points in the hall....

You get the idea. Take it point by point and prove where the breakdown is, then you'll be able to decide on a solution.

I have traced problem back to sittingroom socket. The lead wire that leads to hallway is connected with wire that does work. BLUE/WHITE is connected to green and white/ blue is connected to red. The phone does work in sittingroom, but the lead that goes to hallway does not ( I checked this in the attic by connecting end of it to a socket and spare phone).
    The diagram shows sittingroom sockets

Cool - so check the connectors where the blue/white & white/blue are in the hall : they should correspond to the way they are wired in the sitting room.

In the sitting room socket, make sure the blue/white & white/blue are stripped back enough and making a good connection with the screws and the green and red cables. Make sure of the same in the hallway socket.

Just in case you want an easy way out...

I bought the below handsets in Woodies a while back - storm had blown our phones. Anyway, long story short - when you plug one into a telephone socket, the rest will function without needing to be plugged into a telephone socket.
    No messy extension leads, no sockets, no restrictions on where you can put them.
    AND you can sync the address books so you only need to save a number in one phone and you can push it out to the rest of them.
    These are the bomb:D I'm sure you can do it with the other handsets, but these are the ones we have.
    BTW, I'm not a sales person for Siemens;)
    Siemens Handset

• Advertisement

I think it is a better to go for the easy options! You have been a great help, at least now I know what to do. Thanks for your time!"I'll be back"

Advertisement