Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic web site text and images.

Options
  • 31-08-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Sorry these are basic questions for this forum, but I need to setup a basic site for a friend and was wondering:

1.) if I create the site using frontpage is it simple to post these pages and images with a hosting company.
    2.) How do you link the domain to your hosting?
    3.)And do most of them have edit options?

thanks Jim.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

ArraMusha wrote: »
    Sorry these are basic questions for this forum, but I need to setup a basic site for a friend and was wondering:

1.) if I create the site using frontpage is it simple to post these pages and images with a hosting company.

1) I really really recommend that you avoid frontpage and use an application such as dreamweaver! Frontpage makes horrible web pages that look terrible in browsers other than IE.

2)The domain name has nameservers that point to your web hosting server. They are configurable through a control panel with your domain name registrar.

3) Don't know what you mean, can you elaborate please?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

John_Mc wrote: »
    1) I really really recommend that you avoid frontpage and use an application such as dreamweaver! Frontpage makes horrible web pages that look terrible in browsers other than IE.

2)The domain name has nameservers that point to your web hosting server. They are configurable through a control panel with your domain name registrar.

3) Don't know what you mean, can you elaborate please?

Thanks John,
    Sorry the last question should read. "When I load the pages to the hosting server, is it possible to go in and edit them or to replace them with updated files of the same name?"
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks John,
    Sorry the last question should read. "When I load the pages to the hosting server, is it possible to go in and edit them or to replace them with updated files of the same name?"
    thanks

Yeah you'll connect using an FTP application which will allow you to upload, download, replace and remove the files used in the website.

Changing the content of a page would mean changing it on your computer, and then uploading the new file to the relevant location on the web server.

Pretty easy stuff really! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brianLiverpool

my hosting company allows me to edit them from the control panel too. Its quite simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

1 - If you are dead set on using a WYSIWYG editor such as Frontpage :confused: I advise that you trade it in for Dreamweaver! As for uploading of the website, as a previous advisor mentioned, choose a host that provides a control panel, you can use the file manager to upload all ur files in a flash!
    2 - Your hosting company will point your domain to your hosting, usually getting them both in the same place is far handier.
    3 - Some can be pretty limited and disappointingly poor, shop around but my money is on Digiweb for overall satisfaction, reliability and of course from a cost perspective!

Hope this helps, best of luck to you and your friends site!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Dreamweaver is not a great WYSIWYG editor. What it is good for is that it will allow you to quickly find a simple error e.g some DIV's tag were not closed etc. Most professional's like ourselves us notepad....but this would be harder for beginners. You can easily upload your files via ftp access which is usually provided by every web host. Also, your files can be uploaded via the hosting control panel like cPanel, Plesk, Helm etc

Your hosting company usually gives you their nameservers like ns1.hostingcompany.com, ns2.hostingcompany.com and ns3.hostingcompany.com. If you have registered your domain name with your hosting company then usually they will automatically assign those nameservers to your domain name. If you have registered your domain name elsewhere then you will need to contact the people who you have registered your domain name to change its nameservers to your new hosting companies nameservers. They may have provided a domain control panel to you with which you can change it yourself.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

HandWS LTD wrote: »
    Most professional's like ourselves us notepad....but this would be harder for beginners.
    Are you serious? Notepad?

What sort of professionals are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

TextWrangler ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Are you serious? Notepad?

Hi Cult,

When you learn web designing in university, a night course etc. The first thing they do is get you to learn it via notepad. What i mean't was that most of these web designers started off using notepad and are so used to it now...so they are still using it.

It does not necessary mean that it is the best choice. Everybody has different views as there are lots of website editor software out there. Our group of designers are using different type's that they find easier to work with. If you find one that you like and is easier to understand then you should stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭whizgremlin

Hand - I only suggested Dreamweaver as a newbie prog and from my point of view and usage it was a great learning tool seeing whats happening in real time as well as the code plus if u didnt know something like for example inserting pictures coding u can just click a button and it'll do it for you - then u see the code and pick it up quick. Personally I think it was a worthy suggestion!

As for notepad, i use metapad or notepad++ - die hard coder myself for years and I always opt for this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement