Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online recruitment business

Options
  • 31-08-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I am starting up a new industry specific online recruitment business with a commercial directory too and my biggest difficulty to date (apart from sourcing funding) is how best to find and attract jobseekers to the site to initially populate it as research so far carried out suggests that my potential customers would use the site as long as I had an industry specific candidate pool.

The site is currently under development and has cost me an arm and leg so far so I am on a very tight budget.

Any feedback and views would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

What recruitment tool do Human Resource departments find the best? 7 votes

Online job boards
    0% 0 votes
    Newpapers
    71% 5 votes
    Recruitment agencies
    0% 0 votes
    FAS
    28% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

Lazysuzie wrote: »
    Hi,

I am starting up a new industry specific online recruitment business with a commercial directory too and my biggest difficulty to date (apart from sourcing funding) is how best to find and attract jobseekers to the site to initially populate it as research so far carried out suggests that my potential customers would use the site as long as I had an industry specific candidate pool.

The site is currently under development and has cost me an arm and leg so far so I am on a very tight budget.

Any feedback and views would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

So are you setting up a recruitment business or a online jobs board ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Surely your biggest problem will be finding jobs for people to apply for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lazysuzie

trad wrote: »
    Surely your biggest problem will be finding jobs for people to apply for.

Hi Patfrears and trad, and to answer both is that the business is a job posting board along with a industry specific candidate database and the problem is not so much finding jobs as they are still out there but employers at this moment are inundated with irrelevant CV's so they would look for specific people with certain criteria and it is a bit like the chicken and egg!!!

Hi Patfrears and trad, and to answer both is that the business is a job posting board along with a industry specific candidate database and the problem is not so much finding jobs as they are still out there but employers at this moment are inundated with irrelevant CV's so they would look for specific people with certain criteria and it is a bit like the chicken and egg!!!
    I still have no idea what your business is.

Who pays you ?
    I'll assume it's HR people who want staff.
    So are they paying
    1) To post a job on your board ?
    2) For you to supply them with a list of candidates you vetted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

So what's the difference between you and the likes of Jobs.ie / Monster / Irish Jobs.ie or even some of the bigger recruitment agencies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

So its specific to one particular industry? Can I assume its an employment field you are familiar with? So ask yourself...what would attract you to register on the site?

Hi all and yes I do come from the industry and currently most candidates seeking jobs register their CV's with the usual suspects ie jobs.ie, Monster etc as they are the most well known and I am looking at cost efficient ways of getting my name out there in order to attract people seeking jobs to the site.
    My customers would pay, yes to post jobs, access to specific database and other features unique to my type of site, for reasons you probably understand I want to keep these quiet at the moment.
    I am offering all the benefits of these job boards and agencies on a virtual platform at much less the cost, however, as stated I need to populate the site first.

Hi all and yes I do come from the industry and currently most candidates seeking jobs register their CV's with the usual suspects ie jobs.ie, Monster etc as they are the most well known and I am looking at cost efficient ways of getting my name out there in order to attract people seeking jobs to the site.
    My customers would pay, yes to post jobs, access to specific database and other features unique to my type of site, for reasons you probably understand I want to keep these quiet at the moment.
    I am offering all the benefits of these job boards and agencies on a virtual platform at much less the cost, however, as stated I need to populate the site first.
    You are going up against the job boards and the recruitment consultants.
    It cannot be done. Pick one and put your efforts into that.
    Launch a jobs board that is different to the 100s out there or do the same with the recruitment business.
    There are small local and global players in both those markets you need something different to succeed.

So just to clear it up Lazysuzie, you are looking for ways to attract companies to your site to advertise job vacancies? (Sorry I'm having a slow one today)

Ok so its jobseekers you're looking for. Then lever them to attract employers. Is it a niche market that has high pay levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

patftrears wrote: »
    You are going up against the job boards and the recruitment consultants.
    It cannot be done. Pick one and put your efforts into that.
    Launch a jobs board that is different to the 100s out there or do the same with the recruitment business.
    There are small local and global players in both those markets you need something different to succeed.

Sounds to me like it is a niche job board where you charge for postings, and charge for database search once you have enough candidates? Not going up against the recruitment agencies at all, in fact I'm assuming the OP would be targeting these as customers. If these are high value candidates that cannot easily be found elsewhere, then it will work if there are job opportunities, and if you can attract enough candidates. I would be worried if Ireland is your market, since it is a small place with few job opportunities at the moment, and for most industries, candidates are relatively easy to find.

So the difficulty is attracting high value candidates... and the advantage that the big guys have over the niche players is that they have big advertising budgets and/or affiliations with newspapers and can reach large audiences that way. For a small player, there are ways to get in touch with the market, but it really depends on your industry. Some are easier than others (technical areas with communities online, user groups, conferences, etc.) and some require a more creative approach. Important to have a strong brand, a good product that speaks directly to your target industry. Can't say much more without knowing more details (e.g., what industry you are targeting).

• Advertisement

Hi Maxwell and Illkillya and appreciate the feedback but just to clarify I have potential customers who will advertise but trying to know ways (cheap) of attracting candidates (ie jobseekers) to the site. For jobseekers to register it is free although they must come from the specified industry so as to save employers sifting through 100's of irrelevant CV's.
    Using Ireland as a beta before expanding into the UK and European markets.
    Thanks for all the feedback so far though!!
    I have been in touch with FAS and posted jobs on gumtree as these are free however not attracting specific candidates.

What sort of messages are you putting up on gumtree?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Great climate for this kind of thing. Its probably a small market unless you go international, I hope your margins are good.

The first thing that jumps to my mind is universities: advertising with final year students in the department you are targeting. You could build up that connection by tying it with an alumni association.

Otherwise, you might need to partner, or at least talk to the relevant industry associations, place ads in the main industry journals, websites, magazines, etc.

Track down the appropriate industry groups on linkedin and other sites & send invitations there. I don't know what the penetration of linkedin is in Ireland, but its very prevalent here in the states.

It's funny that you haven't properly answered my question. I suspect the reason why you want CV's up front is that, (being the seasoned recruiter you say you are), you understand that if you've got a bunch of CV's you can go to employers and hound them to put up jobs on your website. I doubt you could call it a chicken and egg suitation to be honest.

Let's be honest, you might be more credible if you had "actual" jobs to post up on your website in the first place. Then you might be able to attract a bunch of CV's.

Stepbar...and I thought I was being paranoid!!! I have answered your question but to be more specific the main difference is that I am industry specific and less costly than the main job posting sites and recruitment agencies, I have never stated I was a "seasoned recruiter" only that I come from the industry I am targeting and have recruitment experience, and through my own experience I feel this is a very viable business, however, through market research of potential customers I have found that in order for employers to switch from their current means of recruitment advertising etc they would need to see a commitment on the site that I can provide them with the candidates required. Oh, and just for your convenience for all my potential customers the first job posting is free.

I hope this answers your question Stepbar and I appreciate any constructive criticism so lets be honest and if you can answer my query of the most cost efficient and constructive method of attracting people to the website to initially populate it I appreciate all feedback... if not thanks!!!

Stepbar...and I thought I was being paranoid!!! I have answered your question but to be more specific the main difference is that I am industry specific and less costly than the main job posting sites and recruitment agencies, I have never stated I was a "seasoned recruiter" only that I come from the industry I am targeting and have recruitment experience, and through my own experience I feel this is a very viable business, however, through market research of potential customers I have found that in order for employers to switch from their current means of recruitment advertising etc they would need to see a commitment on the site that I can provide them with the candidates required. Oh, and just for your convenience for all my potential customers the first job posting is free.

I hope this answers your question Stepbar and I appreciate any constructive criticism so lets be honest and if you can answer my query of the most cost efficient and constructive method of attracting people to the website to initially populate it I appreciate all feedback... if not thanks!!!
    I can tell you have recruitment experience, based on your rudeness and not understanding, listening to people.

Your business model is not clearly defined and it will lead to problems.
    Industry specific, lots of companies focus on one industry, the big firms have different division to deal with different industries.
    Job boards have different sections for different industries.

People on here will help you,
    Jobs boards; people pay to post jobs on and sort through the cv's themselves.
    Recruitment Consultants; people pay to get a list of prequalified candidates.
    You need to decide what business in are in, other wise you will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

hmmmm must have missed the rudeness there, oh no wait the general all recruiters are rude and dont listen, yeah that was rudel....

OP it is a chicken and egg - no jobs, candidates not going to bother registering, no candidate, no responses for clients and no future for you.

Someone suggested associations, specific faculties in universities etc for the candidates side and this is good advice as far as Im concerned. Run a competition - when someone registers give them an autoresponder thanking them and telling them that for everyone with (insert you niche experience or qualification here) who they refer to the site you will give them a free entry to a draw for (something half decent that will be cheaper than normal promotion BUT still cool to win and worth sending a few emails for). Make this as easy as possible with a refer a friend link etc.

For clients - offer it for free initially (say a fixed period of time) AND then take away all the work from them by agreeing to put their details up on the site for the jobs (e.g. you'll take it from whatever source they use, like a rival job-board, or they can email you the spec.)

Finally, while this is a difficult sector to crack, if you believe in it go for it 100% and fcuk the naysayers but keeping in touch with reality....

FH

ps good luck

Thanks FH and appreciate the feedback never thought about the competition side of things

But you didn't answer my question at all.

Another person made an attempt (a good few years) to set up a website

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51987059&highlight=seethecv#post51987059

Needless to say, she's not in business anymore.

BTW the guy who runs Worky spent 1million euro creating this business - http://www.worky.com/. Personally I think he's mad but how in ever.

And BTW, running a competition to gather CV's would be subject to guidlines / rules under the Data Protection Act.

Hi Stepbar, thanks for the feedback and I'm looking into the competition side of things I guess thinking more of a referral competition where whoever can refer the most people over a certain amount of time to genuinely register on the site (they need not be actively looking for a new job but might like to see what's out there) wins a prize or something. I have to look more into it.

Apologies, but can you be more specific with your question and I will hope to answer it?

I saw your link and a very good idea but I can see how it failed ie getting people to put the effort in, not having access to cameras, employers finding it easier to skim through a written CV etc and on the Worky model I have nowhere near €1m to spend but can do it still!!!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

stepbar wrote: »

BTW the guy who runs Worky spent 1million euro creating this business - http://www.worky.com/. Personally I think he's mad but how in ever.

And BTW, running a competition to gather CV's would be subject to guidlines / rules under the Data Protection Act.

Stepbar

as OP suggested definitely referring to a referrals set up - not actual CVs.

And your correct Ray Nolan the guy behind worky did spend that sort of loot but when your other internet entity (hostelworld) makes profits of c.€15M you can indulge these things I guess

Taken from urhired.com

Lazysuzie.com
    "Lazysuzie.com is a new and innovative recruitment website aimed at the tourism and hospitality industry offering candidates and customers alike the perfect way to plan their work requirements"

If you wanted to keep the details of your site secret, probably best not to advertise on another jobsite!

Taken from urhired.com

Lazysuzie.com
    "Lazysuzie.com is a new and innovative recruitment website aimed at the tourism and hospitality industry offering candidates and customers alike the perfect way to plan their work requirements"

If you wanted to keep the details of your site secret, probably best not to advertise on another jobsite!

Not trying to keep a secret but was here trying for feedback from all different perspectives and industries but thanks anyway I hope you feel better now. Is this how this site normally works? I thought it was to gain advice and perspective for new businesses? Oh, and Maxwell if you would care to read my initial post?

Ok so maybe I was a bit harsh/sad in my last post. I always get good advice here for anything I post. But it can be harsh too.

As said previously, I'd hit the colleges which deal with that sector. Also, there are alot of eastern europeans working in that sector, why not have your site available in several languages like Polish and Russian? The majority of eastern europeans seem to speak at least one of those languages in addition to their native tongue and English.
    It might at least get you a decent amount of applicants.

Not trying to keep a secret but was here trying for feedback from all different perspectives and industries but thanks anyway I hope you feel better now. Is this how this site normally works? I thought it was to gain advice and perspective for new businesses? Oh, and Maxwell if you would care to read my initial post?

It's very hard to advise if we haven't a clue what the target audience of the business is???

Anyhow, the tourism industry is in the sh1tter. However, you may have a market for temps or the like. I'm sure hotels that are running on skeleton staff require temps every so often during busy periods.

If you want an answer to your question, I would just advertise in a newspaper local to your customers. Referrals are messy and time consuming.

Ok, I'll ask again......
    stepbar wrote: »
    So what's the difference between you and the likes of Jobs.ie / Monster / Irish Jobs.ie or even some of the bigger recruitment agencies?

Jobs boards - core business is to be a place where companies can advertise jobs.

Recruitment business - core business is to provide pre qualified candidates directly to companies looking for staff

You cannot do both and be successful, even throwing tons of money at it will not work, it might blast the competition away with marketing, but it's not sustainable.

Pick one, analyise the market, see if there is a niche and build your company around filling that niche, this sector is so big and established that you have to innovative and unique to get anywhere.

You want to get potential candidates:
    Be clear you are launching a new business, it will take a while to get going.
    Contact fas ask them to refer job seekers.
    Write a few PR pieces.
    Have a differentiator 'We guarantee that every job posted on this site is real and is currently being recruited for'

You want to get potential customer:
    Again be clear talk about the chicken and egg.
    Free unlimited job posting for the rest of the year || One free candidates placed depending on your business
    PR launch helping companies in the recession by ofering free job posting.
    Then you niche is either the cheapest, very hard to maintain or being niche and having the best candidates for the sector.

Hi all and again thanks for all the advice and feedback, yes I am targeting the tourism industry and specifically the temp placements, as my own experience and research done implies that employers using jobs.ie and monster etc are getting a huge response but the time and effort put into sifting through CV's is as one HR manager put it a pain in the a*se and for temp workers they are using agencies and not always getting what they asked for but have to pay anyway.

My sincere apologies if anyone got me the wrong way and for my paranoia :Dand I do appreciate all the feedback as I know where to target now.

You can view the site at www.lazysuzie.com although it is under construction at the moment and I will keep you all updated on the progress.

Always open to new methods to improve the site and criticism so keep it up.

Lazysuzie

• Advertisement
Advertisement