Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on Spanish Courses in Spain??

Options
  • 31-08-2009 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    Im planning to do an erasmus exchange in Spain next year, but I need to really work on my Spanish before. I've been told that the best way would be to do an intensive course?? I was thinking of going to Valencia, as it is on the beach!
    I've looked a little bit into schools there and found one that seems good, Taronja School.
    But I was wondering if anyone has been there before or if you have any other recommendations?
    http://www.spanish-in-spain.es

Gracias
    Max

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hola!
    Valencia would be a good place to go but they do speak valenciano (catalan) over there so you would have to be careful. At the same time I studied in Galicia and I never had many problems with learning Spanish. However I did have pro galician people trying to make me learn Galician, but half of the time it was harmless.
    For learning castellano I would recommend Madrid. It's a lovely city. There's a Spanish language school 25 miles outside of Madrid called Abril Escuela. It's in Alcala de Henares- Birthplace of Cervantes. Alcala is supposed to be a good place to learn Spanish for foreigners. Plus Madrid is nearby. I'm only starting Spanish in college, but I know people who did this to prepare for the Leaving cert and they came back with a love for the language. You also have a lot of freedom and you mix with different nationalities so you are mostly talking en espanol.
    I've also heard of Salamanca, Granada and Seville where mostly castellano is spoken. Each of those places I've heard to be brilliant from people. Don quijote is another Spanish school network all over Spain so you could try them as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuE8zZ-dWzo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/donQuijoteschool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maxmutante

Thanks for your ideas, it could be true about the Valenciano, but I have also heard that it isn't spoken that much in the city.
    How's your Spanish going? i've been learning it for a year but I really need to work on my conversation skills I think. That's why I though going to Spain would be the best way.
    I will check out that website you suggested

Thanks

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

If you make up your mind for alcala let me know, I can give you good advice for tapas bars and so. It is a small city but only 30 km from madrid.

Valencia is a lovely city, true they speak valenciano as well but everyone also speaks spanish. It is a big city as well so there're loads of places to visit, go out, etc.

I haven't been to salamanca but is renowned for being excellent for students, including nightlife and so. Close to portugal as well in case you wanna visit.

I know there's an instituto cervantes here, located in trinity college. they might have info/courses available.
    http://dublin.cervantes.es/en/default.shtm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The best place for spoken Spanish , they say, is the likes of Salamanca or Vallodolid. Valencia is a lovely place and lots of fun but my recollection of the variety of Spanish is that it was a little tougher to understand than speakers from more northerly parts of Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

maxmutante wrote: »
    Thanks for your ideas, it could be true about the Valenciano, but I have also heard that it isn't spoken that much in the city.
    How's your Spanish going? i've been learning it for a year but I really need to work on my conversation skills I think. That's why I though going to Spain would be the best way.
    I will check out that website you suggested

Thanks

Max

Well as I said when I was in 4th year in school I went to Galicia for 2 months to learn Spanish in a Spanish family. Galician would be the main language, however my family kept talking to me in castellano. It can be frustrating as Older Galicians tended to speak in gallego, even if I was around and trying to interact. Although not everybody was like that. I found people my age didn't really speak a lot of Galician amongst each other (but with adults they did). That's something you need to think about when going to the likes of Cataluna, Basque Country and Galicia, especially to study castellano.
    Yeah going away to Spain is the best way to learn the language. I was lucky as I was the only Irish English speaking person around, so I had to speak the language in order to interact with people. After 2 months I came back virtually fluent. 2 years onwards I still have my Spanish, which managed to help me excel at my Leaving Cert Spanish oral. I ended up getting an A1 overall and now I'm studying the language in college. The experience of going away and 'living' in the language is always something you will look back on happily. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

I spent two weeks in Valencia this summer in a school called AIP. I thought it was brilliant and good value. I stayed in private accommodation but they also can organise homestays etc. In fact, I could not recommend them highly enough and will go back in the future. There is so much to do in Valencia and the beach is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Are these courses in Spain suitable for older people? As someone in their 30's I'd love to do one but not if I was to be placed in a room with 8-10 other teens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

courses I attended in Barcelona had mainly people in their 20's but also some in their 30's and 40's. I don't think you would have difficulty finding a course with some people close to your own age.

Advertisement