Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Goldfish - how much to feed?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

I have a new family member since yesterday afternoon - a little goldfish that has the cats fascinated. :D (Don't worry they can't get near it!)

I really can't figure out though how much to feed it. I got a tub of flakes from the petshop and it says to feed as much as the fish will eat in 5 mins. But I found it took fishy about 5 mins to notice there was a flake in the tank.

Would one or two larger sized flakes be about right, a couple of times a day?

Also a couple of websites say to give goldfish a leaf of lettuce or spinach every now and then. Any advice on this? Is this in addition to the flakes or instead of?

And finally - the fish goes a bit hyper every now and then swimming at the glass of the tank. I think it sees its reflection. Is this normal behaviour? I dont want an upset goldfish!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

First of all- you are far better off underfeeding than overfeeding your goldfish.

When you say you have a tank- have you set it up properly- and do you have an airstone?

Vis-a-vis a lettuce leaf- what I find is getting some pond plants (such as elodea) a very good idea- they can nibble to their hearts content- and it may even grow (while helping oxygenate the water).

Personally I hate flake food- as it tends to foul the water far too quickly. I'd recommend some pond sticks (you can get small packs of them) instead.

Best wishes,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

I was feeding mine twice a day following directions on the tub,but when we went away a neighbour was feeding them and we came back to find 1 less fish.
    So talking to a friend of mine who has kept fish for ages,she said only feed then 2 flakes each and only feed them twice a week.
    We went way on Friday for the weekend gsv the fish a a small pinch of flakes (two each)and we came home to find them all alive without food,so now i think I will only feed then twice a week with the two flakes each.
    hope this helps some little bit as I'm new to keeping goldfish as well.
    Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Thanks Shane. Its a v. small tank - 14lt - but I think I've set it up properly - cycled & tested the water and it came with a filter & pump so I think air should be getting into it. Maybe I should get an airstone too?

I'll look into getting pondsticks and a pond plant in the future, but I don't want to waste the food I have bought already. So - do you reckon the one or two flakes twice a day would be about right?

I posted here recently about getting the tank ready and you gave advice then - thanks v. much! I've looked at the irishfishkeeping site - but t.b.h. its a bit too advanced for me. I just want to keep one goldfish! Having read everything now, I think it might actually be easier to get a big aquarium than to have a small tank.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MsFifers wrote: »
    Thanks Shane. Its a v. small tank - 14lt - but I think I've set it up properly - cycled & tested the water and it came with a filter & pump so I think air should be getting into it. Maybe I should get an airstone too?

I'll look into getting pondsticks and a pond plant in the future, but I don't want to waste the food I have bought already. So - do you reckon the one or two flakes twice a day would be about right?

I posted here recently about getting the tank ready and you gave advice then - thanks v. much! I've looked at the irishfishkeeping site - but t.b.h. its a bit too advanced for me. I just want to keep one goldfish! Having read everything now, I think it might actually be easier to get a big aquarium than to have a small tank.

If you'd like a larger tank and have all the accessories already- pop me a PM and I'll sort one for you (I've a spare one here that I'm not using that could do with a good home).

S.

Advertisement