Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web rankings

Options
  • 31-08-2009 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I have my website up and running for a year or so - www.davidgallagher.ie

As you can see I am personal trainer in Galway and my main aim is to be top of the google search when u type 'personal trainer galway' or 'personal training galway' - I am currently third on each list.
    My web designer is very good at design but he recommended getting someone else with a bit more speciality in getting rankings. He gave me a name of large company group who I just didn't like them.
    Any advice or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Search engine optimisation (SEO) is something that can be done yourself, saving money!!

It is a bit time consuming but worth it in the long run.

Search engines love unique content. I personally would put more content on your site, also find out if you can put a blog on your site. Blogs are META tag heaven for search engines and they help the overall ranking of your site.

That's my 2 pence worth anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Search engine optimisation (SEO) is something that can be done yourself, saving money!!

It is a bit time consuming but worth it in the long run.

Search engines love unique content. I personally would put more content on your site, also find out if you can put a blog on your site. Blogs are META tag heaven for search engines and they help the overall ranking of your site.

That's my 2 pence worth anyway!

Just noticed my stupidity with the blog, so no need to point it off

off to get big jug of coffee to fecking wake up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Hi David,

I'm not an SEO expert but I had a quick look at your site. The word 'Galway' is not used in the content of the first 4 pages (home, about, one-to-one, training). I would expect if this is one your keywords then it should be appearing in your content.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

I found this site this morning: http://www.onewaytextlink.com/links.php?type=free

It's a list of all the free web directories that don't require a recipricol link. As others have mentioned, the content on your website must include the keywords you're aiming for. Your site should also have a low code-to-text ration - CSS layouts are the best for that. Your site should also validate in the W3 validator.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

Hi David

In the first place there is no search volume for personal trainer Galway or for personal training Galway so I am not surprised that you are ranking on those terms as nobody else is looking at them.

In very simple terms there are two parts to SEO the on page content (blogs mentioned in previous post is one useful way) and the second is off page where you work outside your site itself to improve your ranking - there are many different methods to doing this. It is generally accepted that your on page content is approx 20-25% of the effort and the off page is where the bulk of the work needs to get done and does not happen overnight.

On your on page a couple of general comments.

- The blog is a good idea - keep working on good useful content and it will help with traffic.
    - Your domain name isn't ideal for ranking to be honest as ideally your domain name should be the area you are dealing with in the domain name.
    - I would also update your met a description tag as when you are googled it just shows a list of terms. It is best to have a short useful description of what you do for each page to encourage click through.
    - There is no real need to have David Gallagher in the Title Meta tag
    - You also have this SEO by Artio text on several pages even within text - remove this as it is quite distracting.
    - For ranking and traffic I would recommend trying to rank for fitness, fitness programs and a few other terms that are showing traffic - Check Google Keyword tool for examples of the typical traffic numbers.

What was wrong with the SEO people you did deal with? If you need any more tips drop me an e-mail.

All the best

Kieran
    -

• Advertisement
Advertisement