Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Eels Album?

Options
  • 31-08-2009 4:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

What do people reckon is the Eels, or at least Mark Oliver Everett's best album? I've included the live albums because he seems to treat playing live as very different to recreating an album sound and the solo/soundtracks/Mc Honky stuff because Eels has always been a vehicle for his own solo creativity anyway, imo.

Best Eels album 28 votes

Beautiful Freak
    0%
    Electro-Shock Blues
    17%
    IronMansweetieJay PDmullarOne_Armed_Dwarf 5 votes
    Daisies of the Galaxy
    35%
    sceptreDerekD GoldfishMewzelparasiteenda1Boo-yahcatch--22Dennis the StoneBeanstalkHardrain 10 votes
    Souljacker
    25%
    PacificoAmazotheamazingrcazUtopia ParkwayShootafillmore jiveRobertf82 7 votes
    Shootenanny
    10%
    Jim[Deleted User]Danco 3 votes
    Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
    3%
    rcottere 1 vote
    Hombre Lobo
    7%
    OisinjmA Disgrace 2 votes
    Live Album (specify)
    0%
    Solo/soundtrack/Mc Honky
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Shootenanny
    Good thread. Souljacker is really overlooked and often slated as a throwaway Eels album, but I think it's E's best. It has a nice mix of everything that he's good at, it's not too bleak and it rocks out but not too much. I mean for example, it has Dog Faced Boy and Woman Driving, Man Sleeping so for me it covers all types of Eels without being boring or outstaying it's welcome.

Also, and maybe I'll get abuse for saying this, I think it's the last good album E has made. I think after Souljacker his records are very unbalanced and I grew tired of them quickly which has never happened with Souljacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Souljacker
    Danco wrote: »

Also, and maybe I'll get abuse for saying this, I think it's the last good album E has made. I think after Souljacker his records are very unbalanced and I grew tired of them quickly which has never happened with Souljacker.

I dunno about that, I think Shootenanny is a pretty balanced album, probably a bit more basic than Souljacker (which I agree has great stuff on it). I don't think Blinking Lights is the Masterpiece it's supposed to be though. Have only just got Hombre Lobo but it seems to have moved away from the whimsy of Blinking lights a bit (if an album about a werewolf/dog-faced boy being in love isn't whimsical).

I went for Daisies of the Galaxy myself, just an album I was always go back and the feeling of the album is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Daisies of the Galaxy
    Electro shock blues by far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Souljacker
    I went for Daisies Of The Galaxy, but now that I think of it, Souljacker is so great too... Fresh Feeling :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Daisies of the Galaxy
    Electro-Shock Blues by a mile. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it, and i can only listen to it in the winter time for some strange reason, but it is a classic. You can tell E didn't have it east growing up listening to this.

I really like beautiful freak too though, I think its underrated in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Souljacker
    It's really hard to decide which of E's albums is best - most of them are pretty great. Silly thread :rolleyes:

:D

Advertisement