Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMX for going to college!

Options
  • 31-08-2009 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I was thinking about picking up a bike for traveling to and from college (about a 25 min bike ride i'd imagine) and was wondering would a BMX be a good choice of bike for this?

I just don't fancy getting a mountain bike and always loved the look of BMX's and would possibly like to start learning tricks and stuff but my question is would it be a suitable bike for everyday travel to and from college cos i really don't have a clue about BMX's at this stage!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you buy a cheap a$$ BMX then its not really a bmx. It's a cheap small bike resembling a BMX thats going to weigh ALOT, have poor geometry and not be good for tricks. It will also be impractical for commuting unless you have the seatpost up very high and the handlebars more than likely pushed forward to make it more comfortable for a grown persons body...so not practical for doing or learning tricks on. If you buy a decent BMX thats good for leanring tricks on you won't want to leave it locked in the city/college in the rain getting rusty and rotting away. My bmx only sees the rain when I get caught in a shower and never gets locked anywhere. If it aint locked its under my a$$ or at home.
    A BMX can be used for commuting but it is impractical. You're better off buying a cheapo mountain bike for the commute and getting a decent AND cheap bmx and going to some of the skateparks to ride and learn tricks. Sometimes I ride my bmx to work when I feel like jumping kerbs, popping manuals and having some fun on the way. If you are thinking about getting a BMX, The Boardroom do good entry level bikes that have good spec, are strong enough and will last a good while and are perfect for general riding, trails, skatepark, tricks, street, commuting if you want it to.
    I have in the past cycled on a BMX frm the city centre out to Kilcool in Wicklow and back in a day, as bikes aren'l allowed on trains/dart andI was to young/poor to drive. It was hard work and I did it but nowadays I'd rather ride a road bike that distance and strap my BMX onto my bag/back for the commute.
    BMX is fine for short spins into the city but for a serious commute AND wanting to ride your bike properly to learn tricks you are asking for 2 totally different bike set ups.

PM me with any more Q's and I'll gladly answer em.

Pete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

A cruiser might be an option 24inch wheeled BMX - somewhere between a BMX and mountainbike in terms of how it rides.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I used to commute a 5 mile trip on a BMX to college years ago and it was hard going. You would be better off getting a comfortable road bike with gears on. You'll get there in less than half the time and not flaked out for the whole day.

get the BMX separate if you can afford it

Advertisement