Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Randi's million dollar prize taken I think...

Options
  • 31-08-2009 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

This is a video of a guy who claims to have psychic powers... via his computer. Randi tests him in this video... and ends up giving him a $10,000 down-payment of the $1,000,000. Wonder if he got the full million. The test could have been a bit more stringent. I'm sure Randi has every avenue covered anyway.

It's only half an hour long, it's a good watch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7313554370457120575

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Wow, Love it.

Guess you have to watch it till the end to see it all though.. Pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That was great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

I was sickened at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Randi's site is keeping pretty quiet about it but maybe the payout takes a while.

Overblood wrote: »
    Randi's site is keeping pretty quiet about it but maybe the payout takes a while.

You did watch it all yeah?

• Advertisement

Yeah I watched it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Unless this guy's claim can be demonstrated both under the supervision of a team of scientists and using the scientific method, and can be done repeatably under different teams of scientists, that money isn't going anywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No, I think this is undeniable. Randi must hand over the cash no more questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Unless this guy's claim can be demonstrated both under the supervision of a team of scientists and using the scientific method, and can be done repeatably under different teams of scientists, that money isn't going anywhere.

I love the way people refer to the scientific method as though its one individual thing, rather than a collection of various techniques.

By the by - many things in nature wouldn't meet your specifications.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was thinking that the first one could be explained by the computer reading the unconcious movements of the eye as it tracked past the selected card. The second two are tougher to explain obviously.

• Advertisement

Has anyone watched the entire video I wonder?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I hate to be a party pooper, but as mod I suppose its my job: if its not already clear, this is a spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Its hilarious that people are arguing with each other, those arguing obviously didnt watch the entire video!

I'm very skeptical, but i was getting excited by the prospect of this guy actually having a "Psychic Computer"

But, alas, i had been fooled :)

5uspect wrote: »

I tried to make that point three weeks ago.

Indeed and yet some people didn't notice.

Well I did look at the entire thing but didn't want to spoil it for others who were going to look..

I was fooled by it though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

It was a bit childish,I expected more from Mr.Randi.

Oryx wrote: »
    I hate to be a party pooper, but as mod I suppose its my job: if its not already clear, this is a spoof.

Why did you do that?

Overblood wrote: »
    Why did you do that?

No other purpose other than to ruin the video it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

5uspect wrote: »

I have :)

Its AWESOME at the end :P

As I said in my previous post, I was SICKENED :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

MarkR wrote: »
    I was thinking that the first one could be explained by the computer reading the unconcious movements of the eye as it tracked past the selected card. The second two are tougher to explain obviously.
    I had read the party pooper post before watching the video so I can’t say if and when I might have twigged. But certainly the second challenge should have sounded alarm bells. Seth merely had to install some key stroke logging software in the laptop which is transmitted to a plant in the audience who replicates the image search. There would still be a logistic challenge in said plant conveying the image to him covertly but it would hardly be an insurmountable problem. I would think Randi would be a little more carful if a real test was being conducted.

As for the third test, I have fancy that something like that may eventually be possible. The electrical signals in our brains contain the required information, it is essentially an engineering problem, albeit a fairly challenging one, to read and interpret this data in a reliable matter.

Oddly, and in contrast to you, I find the first test the hardest to explain. But I have seen plenty of clever cards tricks in the same vein which I also cannot explain, so I expect there are any number of ways it might be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I didn't read ahead of the first post so any surpirses weren't ruined.

:)

While I didn't cop the full premise of what was going on until the end, I knew the tests were way too flimsy and mistake ridden to be anything official that would warrant handing over one million quid and declaring a revelation of the heights that this prize is seeking.

And obviously, the fact that this video was a year old and I had heard nothing of it also gave away that nothing revolutionary was going to happen.

I'm unsure if this was fun, or a complete waste of time. heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i dont know if this is a p*ss take, but Im sure we'll find out in the next few months either way:

http://www.scientificblogging.com/hammock_physicist/telepathy_and_quantum_0

(hint, read the whole thing)

Advertisement