Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lhasa Apso alone??

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey, k I'm thinking of getting a lhasa apso but I work Monday to Friday and I don't want to leave it alone. I'd feel too guilty and also there's a chance they can get separation anxiety. I've read a bit about that if they are trained properly and know that you are the master there's a less chance of this happening. So I'm just wondering if I got 2 dogs would this be even better, so they would have each others company during the day, or would this make any difference?

Also, exercising them in the evening is not a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I have two Lhasas, we got Lily last year, she was nearly 2 and then we felt she could use a friend, and got Daisy (pup) at the end of Feb this year. Couple of days of adjusting and now they're very close (although Daisy needs Lily more than Lily does her) and they play together/comfort and reassure each other.

Separation anxiety yes, ours have that a bit, but tbh it's my mother's fault for not keeping stricter with them. You have to leave them alone for periods of time so they know you'll come back

With 'packs' - the leader can leave the rest and they're ok with it, but if you're not the leader and you leave they can get stressed.

I would say having two is good at times and I wouldn't hand either away for the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a four month old Lhasa that I got as company for my Tibetan terrier.
    They're great together and both great dogs but I don't think either would do well left alone all day. I'm lucky that I went back to school and I can get home during lunch, I'm only out for school hours so they're not alone long. They are both still young and very lively, so I think they'd wreck the place if they didn't get out during the day.
    Would you consider an older dog?
    Sometimes people who show or breed dogs have dogs that are no longer shown that they rehome. Would you have anyone that could walk the dog during the day? or even just spend half hour playing with it?
    One thing I was warned about by my vet was not to get two pups at the same time as they are harder to train and bond with each other more than their people.
    They are fantastic dogs and very loving.

Advertisement