Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor Lights

Options
  • 30-08-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I have a 150 w Halogen Sensor Light.Can I wire another similar light to this (No Sensor)and run the two lights off the one Sensor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

ya as long as the sensor is able to switch the 2 lights. the rating of the sensor mitent be high enough. if its not you could just buy an independant sensor and switch both through that. if u want to try use the one u already have make sure u connect to the cable goin to the light if it even has a connection in the fitting mitent be accessible

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

as above, you could also drop the wattage of the lamps to meet the rating of the sensor, it cold be a 500W light that you are using with a 150W lamp, in that case you would be fine and there is nothing wrong with it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are now CFL bulbs to replace halogen bulbs.
    They will reduce the rating nicely for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

koolkid wrote: »
    There are now CFL bulbs to replace halogen bulbs.
    They will reduce the rating nicely for you.

cfl not generally compatible with pirs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cfl not generally compatible with pirs.
    Why?
    I cant see why the CFL would "see" a pir as any different to any other switch.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Why?
    I cant see why the CFL would "see" a pir as any different to any other switch.

maybe.what about warm-up time and frequent switching with pirs?Cold weather outdoors will also increase warm-up time.Led should work well with pir(quick warm-up and suitable for frequent switching afaik)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I,ve replaced them for people. They work fine.
    The future is LED anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Switching is not necessarily more frequent just because it is on a PIR. Warm up time will remain unchanged regardless of the switch type.

2011 wrote: »
    Switching is not necessarily more frequent just because it is on a PIR. Warm up time will remain unchanged regardless of the switch type.

i should have said 'short-on time' rather than 'frequent switching'.can affect cfl bulb-life

• Advertisement

Not really an Issue. We use them on Lamps with regular X10 switching.

Frequent switching or "short-on time" switching will not just shorten the life of CFLs, but also the lamps that come with sensor lights (often halogens).

There is an increasing trend to use PIRs/prenence detectors and daylight type sensors to control lights instead of the traditional light switches to reduce energy costs.

Such "intelligent" systems switch many different lamp types including CFLs, incandesent etc.

Advertisement