Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit for surf holiday

Options
  • 30-08-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I'm going on a surf holiday before Christmas so I have 3 months to work on my conditioning. I'll be doing lessons for 4 hours a day for 6 days plus hopefully some "free time" surfing on top of that. I've been surfing on the west coast a few times but just for weekends and for 2 hours at a time but felt no pain, just sore. Is there anything I should work on to help me through the week long session?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

So from doing a bit of surfing to basically a week long session?? haha, I reckon you'll want to sleep for a week after day 2.

My advice would be bed early and warm downs after each surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saluedo

Yeah, we reckon that we'll be smashed after the day's sessions. Plus there's a 2km walk to the nearest town to get a beer. Should be early nights and a lot of warm-downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

my advice would be the same for any other sport:

- make sure you warm up to get the best from the muscles
    - make sure you stretch for 10min for every every hour of exercise (seem a lot and boring but if you manage to do that for 2 weeks, you can always come back tell me if you feel the difference or not)

- avoid fast-food and try to eat when you're not hungry - doesn't make much sense on it's own - try to eat every 2/3 hours - having more (but smaller) meals will speed up the metabolism and you'll see results a bit faster in muscle endurance/stamina

- since you're doing loads of hours, make sure you get isotonic drinks for replenishing after exercise - since at that time (right when you finish) you will be hungry, your body will assimilate pretty much everything you take - better if you give protein or balanced protein/carbs than chocolate full of fat and sugars

... in fact, you will notice that once you start doing the last two i mentioned, you'll notice yourself using a lot less sugar in either coffee/tea or craving for cakes and the likes...

.. hope it helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Take a wander over to the fitness forum. Those lads will set you on the right path fairly quick, probably diet clean-up, weights, intense interval cardio sessions.

Also do plenty swimming in the meantime. Again the swimming forum can provide some insight and maybe a training plan.

You have 3 months to prepare, plenty time if you plan correctly. Don't forget the holiday part of this...its all about having fun! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saluedo

All I was going to do was run 5kms about 4 times a week and do about 3kms swimming each week. Thanks for all the tips. I now realise that I'll have to work push-ups and squats in to this too. 3 months is loads of time though.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

don't forget the stretches - veeeeeeeeeeery important if you want your muscles to develop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have found that swimming was quite good preparation for surfing.

Advertisement