Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis 2008 Saloon

Options
  • 30-08-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 2008 Toyota Avensis Saloon 2.0 D4D.

Could anyone who owns a simular car give me an idea to what extras I could expect with which Spec. i.e. Aura, Luna, Strata, Sol.

Does all models have automatic headlights?
    Is an Avensis 2.0 Diesal Economical?
    Is noise a nuisance with the Diesal Avensis the way it used to be on Irish Diesal Cars in years gone by or has this problem been put at rest?

I've heard from People that the car itself is too big to power on Petrol as good as a D4D.

Due to it's size, has any owners out there or drivers experianced it to be too big when parking due to it's longer size than the 2001-2003 Model Avensis?

Could anyone with any information in general about the 2006 Model Avensis (It's the slight Facelift of the 2003 - 2006 Model) tell me of their experiance with the car and inparticular the economy of the diesal and the extras [features] I should expect to get with a 2006 Avensis 2.O D4D

Thanks All for you Contributions,:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

By all accounts the D4D engine is good. I wouldnt touch an 08 avensis for a number of reasons. Its an old model now so will lose alot of value shortly. You would need to be buying this very cheaply for it to make any sense. Also they are very bland and lag behind the other manufacturers in driving experience, interior materials & finish. If you want a dull reliable car which you might keep for a long time, well its probably a good buy but if you like driving and getting a proper feel from a car, then it wont suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

I have a uk spec 2007 avensis estate d4d.I brought in it from the uk in Jan 08 with 2200 miles.

I have clocked up 35k miles now - no problems at all. Gives about 52mpg on a mixture of city (dublin) and rural driving

Cant say I've noticed noise from the engine. It cruises at 70mph at around 1800-2000 rpm so the engine is very quiet.

The basic spec now has 9 airbags and stability control. Automatic lights wouldnt be high on my list of must have features...

I dont really understand the "bland" argument that does the rounds here... all modern cars are designed in the wind tunnel and built on a production line

There is a new avensis out now -- so buy at a suitable discount...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

mickdw wrote: »
    By all accounts the D4D engine is good. I wouldnt touch an 08 avensis for a number of reasons. Its an old model now so will lose alot of value shortly. You would need to be buying this very cheaply for it to make any sense. Also they are very bland and lag behind the other manufacturers in driving experience, interior materials & finish. If you want a dull reliable car which you might keep for a long time, well its probably a good buy but if you like driving and getting a proper feel from a car, then it wont suit you.

I'm chasing after a good deal which is why I have decided to go in search of an 08 Avensis.

So in relation to my original posting, any helpful info, much appreciated!

Should a D Reg have a stronger value than other Reg's across the country?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bump this thread again and i'll lock it. There's no need to bump it every 40 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a 2008 Toyota Avensis Saloon 2.0 D4D.

Could anyone who owns a simular car give me an idea to what extras I could expect with which Spec. i.e. Aura, Luna, Strata, Sol.

Does all models have automatic headlights?
    Is an Avensis 2.0 Diesal Economical?
    Is noise a nuisance with the Diesal Avensis the way it used to be on Irish Diesal Cars in years gone by or has this problem been put at rest?

I've heard from People that the car itself is too big to power on Petrol as good as a D4D.

Due to it's size, has any owners out there or drivers experianced it to be too big when parking due to it's longer size than the 2001-2003 Model Avensis?

Could anyone with any information in general about the 2006 Model Avensis (It's the slight Facelift of the 2003 - 2006 Model) tell me of their experiance with the car and inparticular the economy of the diesal and the extras [features] I should expect to get with a 2006 Avensis 2.O D4D

Thanks All for you Contributions,:)
    the uk spec T3-s would be a better alternative. wife has a Verso 2.0D4D and its no noisier than others out there. You're not going to get a quiet diesel compared to a petrol if thats what you're after

But I understand the noisy roaring diesals arn't worth the use to be? and Would they be much more economical [MPG] compared to VVTi Petrol Model?

All Your Comments are much Appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

kyote00 wrote: »
    I dont really understand the "bland" argument that does the rounds here... all modern cars are designed in the wind tunnel and built on a production line

True, Toyota now deliberately design their cars bland to prevent the 'boy racer effect' that plagued the Glanza/Starlet. To be fair, they've succeeded. The Avensis is a great car, but it's not for someone who loves driving dynamics and was designed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Confab wrote: »
    True, Toyota now deliberately design their cars bland to prevent the 'boy racer effect' that plagued the Glanza/Starlet. To be fair, they've succeeded. The Avensis is a great car, but it's not for someone who loves driving dynamics and was designed that way.
    Lol, its not true at all due to your very correct ending comment now is it?

Thats a rather silly statement. All mass produced goods are made on a production line, that doesnt mean they are all the same. Obviously.
    The Avensis (and its peers, the Passat, whatever Nissan are churning out these days, the Mondeo etc) are designed to be safe and bland, its inoffensive and fits into its surroundings. Its for the grey-man who uses an auto purely as a functional tool. Its the entry level calculator, the Casio Watch or the Dunnes store business suit.. Its perfectly fine, but to think its the same as "other cars" no matter what they are is delusional.

To the OP, would it kill you to just read a car review? Whatever you think of journalists, members of a motoring forum are likely even more biased (for/against) X car.
    Look at these for a more comparative overview, highlighting positives and negatives:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

You entrapolated what I said beyond what was intended...

I said in my post that I never understood the argument here that a Passat or Mondeo is really any different than the Avensis. Clearly a Maserti or Ferrari is different....

To be clear and pedantic, what I dont understand is why the Passat/Mondeo/A4/Octavia/3series are any less bland than the Avensis -- all are massed produced white goods....

The OP should also go for a test drive in one petrol and one diesel and compare for himself/herself

I predict this thread will go the way of most others and boards wisdom will all agree that the avensis is a piece of muck not worth keeping chickens in...

Off over to octane for some decent car discussion...:D
    Matt Simis wrote: »

Thats a rather silly statement. All mass produced goods are made on a production line, that doesnt mean they are all the same. Obviously.
    The Avensis (and its peers, the Passat, whatever Nissan are churning out these days, the Mondeo etc) are designed to be safe and bland, its inoffensive and fits into its surroundings. Its for the grey-man who uses an auto purely as a functional tool. Its the entry level calculator, the Casio Watch or the Dunnes store business suit.. Its perfectly fine, but to think its the same as "other cars" no matter what they are is delusional.

To the OP, would it kill you to just read a car review? Whatever you think of journalists, members of a motoring forum are likely even more biased (for/against) X car.
    Look at these for a more comparative overview, highlighting positives and negatives:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/

• Advertisement

To be clear and pedantic, what I dont understand is why the Passat/Mondeo/A4/Octavia/3series are any less bland than the Avensis -- all are massed produced white goods....

I would put the octavia in with the avensis. Certainly just a functional tool.
    3 series is a good drivers car as is the mondeo. Passat imo has much nicer fitout than the plastic toyota as has the A4 while also being nicer to drive. The Avensis has nothing going for it except that it will most likely not ever let you down. That is a major plus or course and I suppose the reaon for its success. That alone is not enough for most people though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I would put the octavia in with the avensis. Certainly just a functional tool.
    3 series is a good drivers car as is the mondeo. Passat imo has much nicer fitout than the plastic toyota as has the A4 while also being nicer to drive. The Avensis has nothing going for it except that it will most likely not ever let you down. That is a major plus or course and I suppose the reaon for its success. That alone is not enough for most people though.

I was a passenger in an an 07 Avensis D4D on a 40km journey. On getting out of the car I went to the boot to get my stuff and saw the D4D badge. I heard nothing in the cabin to suggest I was riding in diesel and assumed it was a petrol. That's how good it is. No, it's not flashy, it doesn't scream 'badge', it's just solid, reliable, comfortable and quiet.

Oh, and I was in a new Passat too. My god it's plasticky in there. Let's be blunt, there's not that much difference between a family and executive car any more. Why buy a 'driver's car' if the damned thing is going to be in the dealer's every few months? And why should we have to pay a premium for a 3 series if the Mondeo is just as good? Even VW has lost it's 'quality' marque. In reality the most reliable cars are (in no particular order):

Ford
    Honda
    Toyota
    Nissan

Where are the 'premium' cars in this list? A bit behind, that's where.

Apologies, brandy tends to affect my clarity of thought ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

I'm chasing after a good deal which is why I have decided to go in search of an 08 Avensis.

So in relation to my original posting, any helpful info, much appreciated!

What;s a good deal for an 08 D4D?

Confab wrote: »
    I was a passenger in an an 07 Avensis D4D on a 40km journey. On getting out of the car I went to the boot to get my stuff and saw the D4D badge. I heard nothing in the cabin to suggest I was riding in diesel and assumed it was a petrol. That's how good it is. No, it's not flashy, it doesn't scream 'badge', it's just solid, reliable, comfortable and quiet.

TBH, it should be pretty obvious just from the characteristics of the engine whether its a petrol or diesel. By that I mean torque delivery, rev range etc even as a passenger.
    Secondly, when you went to the boot, did you notice that its made of coke cans and feels like it will come away in your hand compared to any other car in its segent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You entrapolated what I said beyond what was intended...
    I said in my post that I never understood the argument here that a Passat or Mondeo is really any different than the Avensis. Clearly a Maserti or Ferrari is different....
    Ah well then we agree, I would put it down to styling and price preferences to pick an Avensis over a Passat, they simply cant be miles apart.
    Off over to octane for some decent car discussion...:D
    Ah but thats where we more argumentative types hang out, its just like a more focused but divided version of this. With Queen bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Quick specs:

Aura:
    16" steel wheels
    Air conditioning
    Front electric windows
    Electric mirrors
    8 speaker audio/CD/MP3/Remote
    Height adjustable drivers seat
    Remote locking
    Double locking
    9 airbags
    ABS, VSC, BA, TRC
    Rear armrest
    60:40 folding seat

Strata adds:
    Rear electric windows
    16" alloys
    Front foglights

Luna adds:
    Cruise control
    Dual climate control
    Auto lights and wipers
    Front armrest
    Auto dim rear view mirror
    Elec folding wing mirrors
    Leather wheel and gearknob
    Nicer seats,
    Height adjustment for passenger seat
    Colour coded sills

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TBH, it should be pretty obvious just from the characteristics of the engine whether its a petrol or diesel. By that I mean torque delivery, rev range etc even as a passenger.
    Secondly, when you went to the boot, did you notice that its made of coke cans and feels like it will come away in your hand compared to any other car in its segent.

That model Avensis had a 5 star Euro NCAP rating, it also had 9 airbags including a knee airbag for the driver that the current Passat and some other cars in this class still don't have so how thick the metal is in the boot has no bareing on it's safety.

And I've been in a few new model Passats and the quality of plastic used leaves alot to be desired since it seems to be the motors yard stick for judgeing how good or bad a car is.

Why does this model Avensis have 3 Buttons on the Key fob instead of Two (Lock/Unlock)

What is the third one used for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Why does this model Avensis have 3 Buttons on the Key fob instead of Two (Lock/Unlock)

It unlocks the boot only. You are still looking for 1 a month later?????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Boot Unlock.

• Advertisement

You are still looking for 1 a month later?????

I've my eye on an 07 ;)

Just doing some research on it...

It unlocks the Bootlid? Is it like on a Merc were it opens the Bootlid too?

i think your just looking for a chat.

...not very helpful.

Anyway, back to the question on hand, Does the Butlid Button on the Keyfob to the same as a Merc where it actually opens the Boot too?
    (Opens it Up aswel as Unlocking it?)

unlock = unlock
    open = open

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Best not to post at all if you can't answer the OP's question.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Best not to post at all if you can't answer the OP's question.

I think my last reply answered his question?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think my last reply answered his question?
    I'm not familiar with the Toyota, but some systems actually open the bootlid fully whereas others merely release it. I don't think this is always specified on the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the Toyota, but some systems actually open the bootlid fully whereas others merely release it. I don't think this is always specified on the key.

2 posters have already specifically said that it unlocks the boot only. it doesn't open the boot, it unlocks it if it's locked.

Advertisement