Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum Physics made simple

Options
  • 30-08-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to....quantum physics, presented by acknowledged and credible scientists?.

Subjects of particular interest are spontaneous healing and mind body relationship. Time travel, no longer sci fi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I just finished the Quantum Theory book from the "Short introductionb series". I enjoyed it though I did not understand all of it. It really shattered my deterministic view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Solas8 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to....quantum physics, presented by acknowledged and credible scientists?.

Subjects of particular interest are spontaneous healing and mind body relationship. Time travel, no longer sci fi.

anything by michiu kaku might be a nice way to ease yourself into it before going for some more in depth stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fairyj

Check out Understanding Quantum Physics - A User's Manual by Michael A. Morrison. It's like having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Solas8

Thanks guys I will have a look at these, any more are very welcom as this stuff can be hard going.
    S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Quantum theory cannot hurt you by Marcus Chown is worth a look....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can check out "What the Bleep Do We Know!?"
    Mind, it's be criticised but contains some interesting stuff that you can research further http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4237751840526284618#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

quatum physics isn't that hard to start with, most of the concepts are graspable.....it's the maths behind them that boogles me

If you interested in time travel you should read Stephen Hawkins A Brief History of Time, also the BBC science prenster Singh (think thats his name) has a good book on qp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GettingThere101

You may well have been sorted by now on your need for an intro to quantum physics. Even so this still might be worth a look.

6 Easy Pieces, by Richard P Feynman
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Easy-Pieces-Fundamentals-Explained/dp/0140276661/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254775492&sr=1-1

It's a great intro to a selection of the key concepts in physics and Feynman is renowned for being a physics genius, but one who could explain the hyper complex concepts in layman's terms.

Thought it was great stuff my self!
    Solas8 wrote: »
    Hi,

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Solas8

Apologies, I am in India for a few months so books have taken a back seat. Thank you all very much for the advice. I return to Ireland Dec and will order a few books. I am writing one myself and need the science in an attempt to explain the highly unusual experiences my clients have during my work with them
    Kind regards from a very hot Chennai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Wikipedia in "simple english" explain it. :p Having absolutely no understanding of the subject however, I can't comment on how good it is.

Who was it that said:
    If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

EDIT: Actually, I guess simple english wikipedia wouldn't be presented by accredited and acknowledged scientists...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Quantum Physics cannot be made simple.

It divides peope with IQ 90 from people with IQ 190.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Inti

Azelfafage wrote: »
    Quantum Physics cannot be made simple.

It divides peope with IQ 90 from people with IQ 190.

i don't know if it can, but i doubt a statement that says it cant.

do you claim that
    a. all authors of quantum physics have an iq of 190
    or
    b. it requires that you do before it makes sense
    or
    c. both?

what is your evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Maebh

Magnus wrote: »
    You can check out "What the Bleep Do We Know!?"
    Mind, it's be criticised but contains some interesting stuff that you can research further http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4237751840526284618#

Although this is interesting, it doesn't really fall under the credible science heading. I recommend watching it if only for the laughs, but bear in mind that the person who got this film going says she is the modern incarnation of a 35,000 year old space god...Ramtha...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Bleep_Do_We_Know!%3F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

The first ten years of the Twentiest Century produced Quantum Mechanics and Relativity.

That decade will be remembered for all eternity.

No such innovate events occured during the first ten years of the Twenty First Century.

So far the 21st century is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Azelfafage wrote: »
    No such innovate events occured during the first ten years of the Twenty First Century.

The discovery of miRNA and RNAi.
    Reprogrammed pluripotent cells
    First endangered species to be cloned....

Ya, no real innovation here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Vergast

spontaneous healing and mind body relationship. Time travel

Hmm, just to say that quantum mechanics has absolutely nothing to do with spontaneous healing and mind body relationship and practically nothing to do with time travel. A lot of people are trying to link QM with metaphysical and pseudoscientific claims, try not to get pulled in to those cranks statements too much, as they hold no scientific merit or value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Subjects of particular interest are spontaneous healing and mind body relationship

Hi.Im a long time stalker of these pages and am just curious about why this is in the scientific section.For a moderator to be advising airy fairy hocum is odd too....On a pedantic note.Do all of us not spontaneously heal to some degree?Hense clotting.Perhaps you meant wounds healing and self repairation instantly.Im not being an eeidjit.I was just a little concerned at the mention of THAT film in this scientific thread.

Advertisement