Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dying/ seeing a light?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

i have sat with a few people while they were dying, elderly people, one thing i do notice is that there speech seams to go first, and ive had them try and tell me things but i couldnt work out what they were saying, i am wondering is this how the afterlife secret is kept a secret? ive seen people pointing and trying to talk to others, but all i could make out was like talking without using your tongue, and i knew by looking in the persons face that they were trying to tell me somthing. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

What if the person could use sign language?? :pac:

Thatd be interesting to find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I know that my Gran said she saw a cat in the room just before she died (there wasn't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

valarie001 wrote: »
    i have sat with a few people while they were dying, elderly people, one thing i do notice is that there speech seams to go first, and ive had them try and tell me things but i couldnt work out what they were saying, i am wondering is this how the afterlife secret is kept a secret?

What afterlife secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

i mean the whole thing in general, like its a secret as none of us knows what the afterlife is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I can tell you one way of finding out what the afterlife is like. Hire a medium to contact a dead relative of yours, and ask them to describe the afterlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

I was pregnant when my Gran as dying,although nobody knew as I was only about two months along. Every time I came into the hospital room Gran spoke about there being a baby there. It was quite spooky. She never mentioned it to any of the rest of the family if I was not in the room.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There are many reports of people seeing relatives who already passed, just before they die, and they do get to tell those around them. People tending to the dying have also reported lights and mists around the body as the person dies. Its not that uncommon. It is however, still unexplained. Noone knows if the visions are the product of the brain winding down, or something else. The visual effects seen also are anecdotal and unexplained. But they do provoke questions, such as yours, op, about what is going on.

In answer to your question, is this to keep the afterlife secret? Not as a deliberate thing, I wouldnt think. Even if you yourself saw what the dying see, it would change nothing but your own personal beliefs. As humans we will never truly know what happens after death until we ourselves die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While I believe in the afterlife, i find myself tending to think that near death experiences are the result of the body and brain shutting down. We all know how the mind can play tricks on us when we are falling asleep or waking up, so id imagine the possibilities are greater when we die.

A friend in the medical profession told me (unfortunately) explained from a scientific perspective how its possible for people to see a light as they are "dying". I cant remember the ins and outs of it but it made sense.

That being said, there is an experiment underway in some hospitals in the UK whereby unique images are on the ground etc in some of the operating rooms so when those who have a near death experience and claim to see themselves, should be also able to see the unique pictures on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I saw a film a number of years ago, and in it it said that the soul weighs 21 grams.

Thats also the name of the film btw.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

The chemical DMT is believed by some to play a role. It is produced in the brain in small quantities, but is also found in large quantities in the peyote cactus, an extremely powerful hallucinogenic plant.

It is a highly plausible explanation that it is somehow involved in near-death experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

my uncle saw his mother in the room as he slipped away. he always called her mammy, until she died in 1985. just before he passed, a smile came to his face and he said mammy and slipped away.
    i like to think that she came to take him from us, its comforting in some sense that when we do pass, someone we love will be there to guide us thru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

faceman wrote: »
    A friend in the medical profession told me (unfortunately) explained from a scientific perspective how its possible for people to see a light as they are "dying". I cant remember the ins and outs of it but it made sense.
    When lack of oxygen starts the whole process of dying, brainstem reacts first in the way like youturned off an old TV - there is a light, bright on the beginning and gradually fades away to a little spot, that may look like a "light in a tunnel".
    Also dying, as a certainly stressful process (even on subconscious level), makes brain to produce hormons which usually cause halucinations (visions, sounds, out of body experience, etc.) so we die really "dope". There are no family members, there is nothing "after". What people feel after they die? It's hard to imagine from our perspective, cause brain can't really work in that way. Dead people feel exactly the same way like before they were born. How did you feel in 1624?? They don't feel, they don't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephen Esquire

Well I suppose being oblivious isn't that bad.If you don't have any awareness, needs, emotions or desires in the first place then technically you'd be completely satisfied,paradise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

paradise?
    You hit the nail on the head...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    When lack of oxygen starts the whole process of dying, brainstem reacts first in the way like youturned off an old TV - there is a light, bright on the beginning and gradually fades away to a little spot, that may look like a "light in a tunnel".
    Also dying, as a certainly stressful process (even on subconscious level), makes brain to produce hormons which usually cause halucinations (visions, sounds, out of body experience, etc.) so we die really "dope". There are no family members, there is nothing "after". What people feel after they die? It's hard to imagine from our perspective, cause brain can't really work in that way. Dead people feel exactly the same way like before they were born. How did you feel in 1624?? They don't feel, they don't exist.
    I look forward to it...

Advertisement