Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your Board & Why?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

As in the title what is your board? Why did you pick it?

Stick down your height also.

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

i'm 6'3

9'0 log for anything up to waist high.
    6'10 shortboard for anything bigger

that being said you can't beat tearin' down the line on perfect shoulder high walling right handers on the longboard ala inchydoney last friday @ 7am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Bic 7'9 to learn on. Progressed onto a Powersource 7'3. 6ft. 12.5 stone. Beach breaks. If I can get out the back with the Bic its the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

6ft and 14 stone 5.
    6'6" Hawaiian Islands Creations Big Guy Fish for anything up to a foot overhead.
    6'10" Rusty for the bigger stuff.
    7'4" I shaped myself when it's small and crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

5'7.5":D
    bic 7'3 cos it was cheap:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Mondays, boo.

5'7", 11-12 stone, depending on season ;), 15 years + surfing.

Currently in my shed (and not broken in two):

5'8" x 21 x 2 3/4, Cord, traditional twin keel fish (swallow tail).
    - For knee to headhigh beachies but goes good nearly everywhere.

5'10" x 20 x 2 3/8, http://www.waxonsurfboards.com , WaxOn, small wave board (diamond tail)
    - For waist to head and a half beachie. Twin fins with a trailer fin, more high performace than the keel fish. Only new so looking forward to the winter with this stick.

6'2" x 19 x 2 1/2, CI Flyer II (squash tail)
    - For waist to head high+ beach/reef. Surfed some heavy waves with this board over the last winter but it'll go up for sale soon. Gotten for beach waves but performed better on reefs. Beefy board that great for off the tops and cutbacks.

6'4" x 18 1/2 x 2 3/8, Chemistry SuperModel (rounded pin)
    - Purchased in Cali for trip to Hawaii, also excelled in the Maldives.
    - Goto board for clean head to double stuff.
    - Might sell this soon as it's not getting as much use.

6'5" x 18 3/4 x 2 1/2, http://www.waxonsurfboards.com , WaxOn, winter quiver killer (thumb tail).
    - If I can only take one board and the waves are solid, this is it.

6'10" x 18 1/2 x 2 1/2, CI MSG, glassed heavy (pin tail).
    - For the big stuff, paddles like a dream and solid underfoot, especially on steep drops.

7'3" BIC :D,
    - my wives board.
    - actually a great board for beachies.

3' Tom Morey Bodyboard.
    - don't ask.

1 pair of swim fins plus one "speedo",
    - for shoredump around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

I'm 6"3 , 105kg's:

Board 8"4 Bic Magnum because it was cheap and apparently indestructable, I let drop pretty hard on tarmac the other day and not even a scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

bic 7ft 9. chopped and changed a few boards and have settled on this for now, as I', 6 ft odd, 32, (old timer). Hopefully I'll eventually upgrade to a shaped boards of similar size, or around the 7ft 6 mark once I can handle the 7ft 9 well.. Roll on the winter! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

circle one 9' softboard - i can catch a wave in 1 foot of water in this

about to purchase a bic (i think)

6 foot tall, 12.5 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

6ft 84kg

6'11 Circle one Fatboy flyer - For shortboard glory with a bit of float.

10'2 Southpoint Longboard - Got this for catching small summer waves. This board has grown on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 _kier_

7'3 bic.....
    cheap on king of water sports and had a wahine version which was the same as my tattoo...sad but true!!!! wrong bored for a beginner though!!!! regret it big time!!!! bigger is better!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 soccfc

42 inches of sponge!

Why? Bodyboarding is alot more flexible than having to have a surfboard with me all the time in the boot of the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

i'm 5'6 and almost 12 stone

have a 39'' drop-knee 60/40 refresh custom bodyboard shapped with 2 stringers but that has so many bumps it's no better than the...

... 42'' vision bodyboard that can barely stand my weight - but that will keep me going until october (time when i fly back to portugal to get my new custom shaped like the one above)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, the why is quite simple... is was a decentish height and about $200 cheaper than any other vaguely suitable second hand boards out there.

it's a sorta mini-mal, 7"3, with a pointier nose and narrower frame than most. looks more like an elongated shortboard than a shortened longboard.

bit of a tricky one for a beginner, but the more time i put into it, it's becoming infinitely more rewarding, particularly after having a shot on a heavier, broader, sturdier board recently... was an easier ride, but less fun, less maneouverable. in my humble, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

7 8" bic cause im a rookie and im 6' 2

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

just under 6 foot, about 12.5-13 stone

6'10 Westbay Slayer - (its like a fatboy flyer i suppose?) I progressed onto this a few months ago from the minimal, bought it in March. Still getting used to it coz i didnt get to use it much over the summer. Was pleasantly surprised at how i made the changever to shortboard without too much hassle.

7'2 NSP Mini-Mal - My first board. Still use it regularly when the surfs too small for the Slayer. Sometimes when reading this forum i think i should have started on something a bit longer as a beginner but to be honest i never knew any different at the time and so i just got on with it and i was always happy out with it. I had a few goes of my mates slightly longer 'southern sun' minimal that has a wider nose and i didnt really like it, felt a lot less manouverable. In saying that i used a 7'6 NSP in Morocco before and i liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

bic 7'9
    because its cheap, was my first and only board
    its hard wearing and easy going,
    +you get to feel smug when you can outsurf people on more expensive boards

• Registered Users Posts: 39 swarbrick1979

5'11 14 stone

was surfing a Rusty 6"0 now on a Carbon Fibre 6"3 Quad fish coz its quick and takes my weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

6'2" weighing in at 12.5 stone

7'6" WestBay hybrid

and a

7'2" Surftech MacFish

Only surfing 1 1/2 years, started with the hybrid, bought the MacFish last summer when traveling around Oz. Great board, I love it muchos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

6'2" weighing in at 12.5 stone

7'6" WestBay hybrid

and a

7'2" Surftech MacFish

Only surfing 1 1/2 years, started with the hybrid, bought the MacFish last summer when traveling around Oz. Great board, I love it muchos!

How do you like the hybrid? I'm on a 7'9" Bic Mal for now, but am thinking of eventually going for a 7'6" or 7'9" hybrid...
    is a 7'9 hybrid much the same as the mal...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

6'1" and have a 7'9" Bic Natural Surf,find it good fun but im still learning,my GF got a 6'7" Bic shortboard and i give this a go every now and again.

7'9 is a lot easier though but as i say still a beginner.
    Would like to progress onto a nice shortboard though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i am an ambitious 5'10 and around 80kg.

first board was a 7'9 bic pop out, didnt like it much and changed to a westbay 9'1 x 22 x 3 longboard which is my board of choice these days.

have a glide 7' x 20.5 x 2.75 fatboy also, it was getting a fair bit of use before the summer but with my lack of surf since may it hasn't even left the shed. lovely board to ride though. got it because i wanted to see why anyone would bother with a short board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

Iv a custom 52" pintail skimboard, 3d rocker, good in shore break. Have 3 or 4 more in the garage getting little use.

Met 5 local surfers down my local beach who had a go and couldn't believe how hard it was told balance and momentum. Where i had no trouble catching wave's on their longboards. Although, all i could do was catch waves!

I know its not a surf board but theirs not much difference in the sports Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

5 10 and 90kilo, 7 10 Take Off Mini Mal, Got it becuase i was laid off a year and a bit ago and had redundancy money and a new job starting in a week.

Its a tough board, but not without damage. Seriously easy paddle, good beginner board, looking at other boards now for bigger surf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Restrict myself to one or only few boards? :D
    Everytime different foamie, that is my style :pac: Does the job perfectly, I don't have to carry it with me and helps quite a lot to catch a wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

5'10" about 13 st (ahem!)
    My self and my missus' quiver...

8ft Coastline... cheapy board but legendary shape used in everything from 1/2 foot mush to 1 1/2 overhead. Love this board.

6'2" Spider Twin Fin 70's Fish... a little beaut.. small to big, nice and nippy with plenty of float.

6'7" twin fin self made board modelled on the Spider and it is unreal!! Well impressed with it very stable and super fast.

6'6" Rusty .... not a fan

6'6" Circle one .... do not like at all, would feel bad selling it to someone.

7'6" Saltrock Mini mal.. another great shape but glass job leaved a lot to be desired, a bit weak. But great board.

7'6" MMY minimal (RIP) lying in two pieces in the drive way. It had a tough life, but was a great board.

7'0" Spider Exec was in quiver until recently but worth an honourable mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 limerickguy2

anyone got a 10 foot board for sale ? for new comer :cool:

Advertisement