Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fitting new window seals and Metal strips to classic car... HELP

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have a 1964 Daimler 250 V8. She's just about perfect but I need to replace the rubbers around the front and rear windows. This I don't think is a big problem but I need to replace the metal strips that go onto the rubbers as well. Anyone know someone that can do this? I got a quote off a guy in Wexfor and he said this was a big job and would cost me about 400 euro. Can't understand why it would cost that much!!!! I'm supplying the rubbers and the metal strips. Is this another case of Rip off Ireland? I'm in Stamullen Meath but will travel to Louth or Dublin if I have to. Any replys much appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The lads over in the Classic Cars section will give better directions but there are several classic car restoration companies near you. €400 sounds like a rip off. I'd imagine the metal strips work the same as the ones in old Minis and you just need a wire tool and plenty of washing up liquid to get it all to fit.

There was a guy in around Raheny that did restoration work on old Jags and Bentleys - John Somethingorother (I have his card at home) I'll see if I can find it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not sure about your particular car, but mine are a swine to do, you need at least two people to do it as the chrome has to be fitted to the rubber first then to the glass before its fitted in......if i could afford 400 i get it done properly...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WrecklessE

Thanks for the help lads. Hmmm, I'll ahve to check out the classic car section and see if anyone can help. Its mad. Up until this year I would have thought nothing about what quotes people give me and just went with it. I have a differant opinion now. Being self employed I'm constantly being asked can I do anything about my quotes.:confused:

Advertisement