Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nebulizer anyone??

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

My partner suffers with asthma almost all his life and usually keeps it under control but every now and again it acts up and despite use of the inhalor it doesn't seem to help.

The past few days he is short of breath and the nights are worse as he cannot relax due to short of breath and therefore gets very little sleep and he is in bad form the next day and the cycle goes on and on. Usually this passes in a matter of weeks and he could be ok for 6 months so there is no real need to see the doctor as he keeps him on the same strength of inhalor.

I've heard that a nebulizer can help with his breathing and make his chest feel more open. I really want to help him as he is frustrated. I am living in county kildare, does anyone know where I can get one or if they are worth getting?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

poms wrote: »
    My partner suffers with asthma almost all his life and usually keeps it under control but every now and again it acts up and despite use of the inhalor it doesn't seem to help...

I've heard that a nebulizer can help with his breathing and make his chest feel more open. I really want to help him as he is frustrated. I am living in county kildare, does anyone know where I can get one or if they are worth getting

Hi,

I've had Asthma all my life. It was worse when I was a child, but if I get sick now, my Asthma plays up.

I would recommend getting one. There could be a situation where there's an emergency and having a nebulizer would really help, before you're able to get to a hospital.

I have one, I use it when I'm sick because there are times when I find myself very short of breath, I'll be weak and literally feel as though my throat is closing up.
    When I was a child, my parents used it when I had Asthma attacks, before they could get me to a hospital.

If your partner has Asthma, then he should probably have one. It would be of benefit to him and it could save his life, should he ever suffer a very serious attack.

I have no idea how much they cost, or where you can get one, unfortunately, but I definitely understand the value of them. Having had some serious attacks as a child, I might not be here,if I hadn't had access to a nebulizer.

My advice is speak to a doctor about where or how you can buy one, and the financial side of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Chemist on the corner of aungier street and kevin street has all that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I occasionally borrow one from a friend who runs a medical supply shop. I think they cost about 70 or 80 euro. Just found a link to similiar one http://www.shopmania.ie/shopping~online-medical-supplies~buy-nebulizer-omron-compair-c28~p-273052.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A rememdy to help the lungs that I found great when I had lung problems years ago was the following.

Buy a bottle of Olbas Oil, Fill the kettle and pop it on and have a nice clean basin at the ready.
    Empty the scalding kettle into the basin and top up with about 1/4 kettle of cold water. Do this until the basin is 1/2 to 2/3's full.
    Add in about 10 drops of the oil. Get a towel and place head over the steam covering your head and the basin with the towel so all the steam is helping the chest. Only breathe with your mouth. I used to do this for about 30 minutes and it is far cheaper than a nebulizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

^^^

+1
    My kid brother suffered badly with asthma when he was young and found this worked well except he used Vick instead of albos oil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

nedtheshed wrote: »
    ^^^

+1
    My kid brother suffered badly with asthma when he was young and found this worked well except he used Vick instead of albos oil.

Sorry I should have put that in aswell:

Olbas oil is for a heavy phlemy chest.
    Vicks is perfect of a dry/wheezy chest.

One of the best and easiest cures out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

snip

Thanks for the definition dictionary-bot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And... he's gone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement