Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner lesson/location

Options
  • 30-08-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Finally decided to go and take some lessons (absolute beginner), just wondering what people think is the best location to go?, is it too late in the year at this stage?,
    Also, is it better to tryand get somewhere that teaches on weekdays as have heard many of the beaches get very busy at the weekends?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

npc_100 wrote: »
    Finally decided to go and take some lessons (absolute beginner), just wondering what people think is the best location to go?, is it too late in the year at this stage?,
    Also, is it better to tryand get somewhere that teaches on weekdays as have heard many of the beaches get very busy at the weekends?
    Thanks in advance.

I'd highly recommend Bundoran over Lahinch.

I've only ever had dealings with 3 surf schools in my life. Delphi when I was about 15/16 with a transition year trip and more recently Bundoran Surf Co. and Oceanview Surf School in Lahinch.

Lessons are between 30-35 euro, depending on group sizes and whether or not you are staying with them...They provide suits, booties if you really need them and boards. The lads are bang on and very helpful. Also, there is a choice of beaches depending on how bad or choppy the conditions are.

Its not too cold, once you get into the water its grand...Beaches arent too busy either and less so as the weather is dropping off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I would advise Tramore as it is the most suitable wave for beginners, its forgiving and safe and ideal for learning, it also has surf shops, schools and a cafe at the beach front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

heres some advice that every beginner must know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOICt5aZ_0&feature=fvw

HAPPY SURFING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kevin79

Lahinch was full of jellyfish when I took a lesson there. Try Strandhill. Great beach. Shallow a long way out so you get a chance to wobble your way up to standing before you hit the beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

the jellyfish will be gone this time of year thankfully, they're the spiders of the sea

• Advertisement
Advertisement