Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night watch Trilogy - Brent Weeks

Options
  • 30-08-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Just finished reading the Night Watch Trilogy by Brent Weeks.

When I'd read the first novel I was really excited, some excellent characters, such as Durzo Blint and Logan Gyre. Unexpected plot twists too which is always a bonus!

However I found the second and third novels seems somewhat rushed, and his fragemented method of story telling through characters is often portrayed in segement that are far too short and interrupt the flow of the book.

Overall the trilogy seems a little bit rushed, particuarly the third novel. I think he would have been better off stretching over five books or more, taking the time to explain a little more of the history behind the world he has created, particualry with regards to the differnet countries and the magic.

Anyone else read these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

Beanstalk wrote: »

Overall the trilogy seems a little bit rushed, particuarly the third novel. I think he would have been better off stretching over five books or more, taking the time to explain a little more of the history behind the world he has created, particualry with regards to the differnet countries and the magic.

Anyone else read these?

Loved the books. Was an impulse purchase after seeing the covers. I loved the fact that it was all wrapped up in three books. So many fantasy books these days have a great first novel then end up stretching the story into a huge series.

This was nice and compact and didn't imho have too much padding ie, religions or magic systems explained too much.

The author answers this issue in the interview here:

http://www.bloodofthemuse.com/2009/02/brent-weeks-interview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Just started book 1. Not bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 CorChil

Couldn't put the book down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Night Angel, not night watch :)

Its was his first series and is weak in parts, the first book actually being the best IMHO. But for a first series, I think he did a really great job!!

His next series, the lightbringer series is absolutely fantastic. Its completely original with an extremely well thought out magic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I thought the trilogy was poorly written garbage with horrible cringey dialogue throughout and a terrible attempt at a love story thrown in.

However, his Lightbringer series is a massive improvement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement