Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Sign Language in Dublin

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Has anyone here ever learned BSL? I've just done an introductory online course which was really interesting, but am absolutely stuck for anyone to practice my (basic) signing with!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

There's a good few books in the Dublin library system, and it should be easy enough to get DVDs from the UK.

You specifically want to learn BSL and not ISL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Scouting

See, it's actual practice I'm looking for - someone to mangle the language with. There are resources for vocabulary, syntax (etc.), but I think a bit of real-life application would be more useful at the moment.

The reason I'm trying BSL rather than ISL is that a couple of friends of mine in the North have some familiarity with it. As I now live in Dublin, though, they're not much use for practicing with. I reckon I should get a bit more comfortable with this before adding ISL to the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

tbh i think if ya live in ireland yer better off learning isl,as many bsl signers from the north know both.

theres a big difference between the two different signs,i honestly think youd be better off learning isl as there would be more isl classes in dublin rather than bsl.then when your at an accomplished level with isl ,try and learn bsl.

theyre totally different,isl tends to be single handed sign ie the alphabet is single handed whilst bsl tends to be both hands used .

up t ya what ya choose to do of course,thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

anplaya wrote: »
    tbh i think if ya live in ireland yer better off learning isl,as many bsl signers from the north know both.

theres a big difference between the two different signs,i honestly think youd be better off learning isl as there would be more isl classes in dublin rather than bsl.then when your at an accomplished level with isl ,try and learn bsl.

theyre totally different,isl tends to be single handed sign ie the alphabet is single handed whilst bsl tends to be both hands used .

up t ya what ya choose to do of course,thats just my opinion.

Hi,

Just came across this. Thought there was actually only two types of signing, american and british. Just going buying a bsl book beginners on amazon. Any good beginners books for isl instead?

http://www.shop.irishdeaf.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

This book seems to be for a classroom while i was more interested on learning when i was commuting or have the time.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Think maybe this could be my answer...
    http://www.shop.irishdeaf.com/product_info.php?products_id=113

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Hi,

Just came across this. Thought there was actually only two types of signing, american and british. Just going buying a bsl book beginners on amazon. Any good beginners books for isl instead?

http://www.shop.irishdeaf.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

This book seems to be for a classroom while i was more interested on learning when i was commuting or have the time.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Think maybe this could be my answer...
    http://www.shop.irishdeaf.com/product_info.php?products_id=113

why would ya think irish people use bsl?were irish not british.get a book o n irish sign language if you live in ireland not bsl,totally different.

anyway every country has their own sign language,tis all slightly different,same as any language.

i suppose ya should just go to a good bookshop and get isl for beginners or something .

• Advertisement

why would ya think irish people use bsl?were irish not british.get a book o n irish sign language if you live in ireland not bsl,totally different.

anyway every country has their own sign language,tis all slightly different,same as any language.

i suppose ya should just go to a good bookshop and get isl for beginners or something .

Been to half the book shops in dublin and almost everyone in cork, even waterstones before the flooding and there's nothing.

the reason i thought that we used BSL was because originally i thought there was only two languages. I don't know any deaf people to ask. And really I don't need a history lesson i was only asking.

Thanks anyway.

S

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Been to half the book shops in dublin and almost everyone in cork, even waterstones before the flooding and there's nothing.

the reason i thought that we used BSL was because originally i thought there was only two languages. I don't know any deaf people to ask. And really I don't need a history lesson i was only asking.

Thanks anyway.

S

ah dont mind me,grump that i am.nah every country has their own variation,bsl is a lot different than isl.

theres a book called irish sign language,tis kinda like a folder edition,has pics of people signing,kinda old fashioned tho but it should be ok ,by a Stanislas j. Foran,and i managed to get that one for someone in waterford,which only really has one main bookshop,so dublin and cork must have at least one bookshop that has a book on irish sign language.if not,ask them to order it in for ya.

even better,go to the Irish deaf society,they have a shop i think called irishdeaf.com,tis situated on the 1st floor ,386 North Circular Rd, Dublin 7.
    they have a range of sign language books,cds/dvds etc.

ya may also be able to get information there on where sign language classes are being held.from my experience its a lot easier to learn when its demonstrated in front of you.

ah dont mind me,grump that i am.nah every country has their own variation,bsl is a lot different than isl.

theres a book called irish sign language,tis kinda like a folder edition,has pics of people signing,kinda old fashioned tho but it should be ok ,by a Stanislas j. Foran,and i managed to get that one for someone in waterford,which only really has one main bookshop,so dublin and cork must have at least one bookshop that has a book on irish sign language.if not,ask them to order it in for ya.

even better,go to the Irish deaf society,they have a shop i think called irishdeaf.com,tis situated on the 1st floor ,386 North Circular Rd, Dublin 7.
    they have a range of sign language books,cds/dvds etc.

ya may also be able to get information there on where sign language classes are being held.from my experience its a lot easier to learn when its demonstrated in front of you.

Ah me and you both, i do appreciate the reply. It's something that has stayed with me since i met a deaf person in college and i just felt so stupid that i couldn't communicate, ignorant of anything to do with deaf culture or language. Hence my mistakes over ISL/BSL.

Anyway i've ordered a book and dvd, we'll see how i get on with those before i start any sort of interaction. I'll try that bookshop on Dawson street on Thursday too.

thanks anplaya:)

Advertisement