Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

automatic clutch... honda 50 style

Options
  • 30-08-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Quick question maybe someone here can answer. Is it possible to fit a manual "clutch" type motorbike/motocross/scrambler (any bike really) with the automatic clutchless honda 50 style gear change? or is this type of gear change solely depending on the gearbox in the honda 50s? I am sure i have come across this on method on small quads or bikes but not 100% sure.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hi Dave,

There are several bikes with centrifugal clutches but I don't believe it would be possible to retrofit one to a normal wet plate gearbox. There are several large scooters on the market with automatic clutches, but most have two or three speed automatic gearboxes too (Suzuki Burgman etc).

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya could go dens that honda dn-01 or whatever ya call it.

seanybiker wrote: »
    ya could go dens that honda dn-01 or whatever ya call it.

I think seany is trying to suggest that you buy a massively overpriced scootay and scrap it for its gearbox. Its awfully early for him to be up...

dn01_us_lead.jpg

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

Be staying as it is so. Thanks for replys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi Dave,

There are several bikes with centrifugal clutches but I don't believe it would be possible to retrofit one to a normal wet plate gearbox. There are several large scooters on the market with automatic clutches, but most have two or three speed automatic gearboxes too (Suzuki Burgman etc).

'cptr

...er,...no they don't.....those bikes are like mine - Aprilia Atlantic 500 - they don't have either clutches or gearboxes. Not in the conventional sense, that is.....centrifugal variator instead of 'clutch' and CVT belts instead of 'gears'.

Bloody brilliant, btw. Faster, more comfortable than my H-D, funnily enough...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...er,...no they don't.....those bikes are like mine - Aprilia Atlantic 500 - they don't have either clutches or gearboxes. Not in the conventional sense, that is.....centrifugal variator instead of 'clutch' and CVT belts instead of 'gears'.

Bloody brilliant, btw. Faster, more comfortable than my H-D, funnily enough...

Are you trying to start a fight over the semantic differences between our terminologies? Answer the OP's question and don't be starting on me. Anyway, you have too many bikes and you probably get confused anyway.

Oh and your Partner strimmer is probably more comfortable than your Harley Ferguson...

'cptr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Are you trying to start a fight over the semantic differences between our terminologies? Answer the OP's question and don't be starting on me. Anyway, you have too many bikes and you probably get confused anyway.

Oh and your Partner strimmer is probably more comfortable than your Harley Ferguson...

'cptr

Your post signatures probably antagonized him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

theres a few solutions the OP could use like
    http://www.revloc.com/

theres few different companies making these so just google "automatic motorcycle clutch" and you get plenty of results

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

Hi Folks,

Quick question maybe someone here can answer. Is it possible to fit a manual "clutch" type motorbike/motocross/scrambler (any bike really) with the automatic clutchless honda 50 style gear change? or is this type of gear change solely depending on the gearbox in the honda 50s? I am sure i have come across this on method on small quads or bikes but not 100% sure.
    Thanks for looking
    Dave

Hey Dave,
    I ride a 2004 Yamaha WR450 and have exactly what you are asking about installed.
    It's a clutch made by Rekluse and its an easy self install.
    You change gear as normal but don't have to use the clutch lever at all.
    Just slip it into gear and then twist the throttle. as the revs rise the centrifugal clutch engages and the bike moves forward and when you let go of the throttle you will coast to a stop and can sit there in gear without having to hold in the clutch lever.
    In fact you can go 1 step more and fit a rear brace re-locater kit in place of the clutch lever, the lever still works but you don't need to use it any more so why not go with the brake instead.
    I find that my bike almost never stalls and i can ride much longer before it tires me out.
    Have it fitted now for the last 4 years and love it!
    Bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Fabio

Or you could buy a Honda Innova 125...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Are you trying to start a fight over the semantic differences between our terminologies? Answer the OP's question and don't be starting on me.

...seems to me you need to look up 'semantics' in the dictionary. Or, I'm glad you're not fixing any gearbox belonging to me........lord knows what I'd get back.......5 reverse and 1 forward, I suppose..... ;)
    Anyway, you have too many bikes and you probably get confused anyway.
    ....nonsense. Impossible to have too many bikes..........I reckon I could jam a few more in .........:p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement