Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should car pools be given a reduced toll rate through the port tunnel?

Options
  • 30-08-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I think they should be let through at half the current rate if they contain four or more people. It would encourage less cars on the road particularly during the Malahide bridge reconstruction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

I would think a 'car pool' would be hard to define. I could see schoolruns exploiting this and then the tunnel would be blocked up every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would think a 'car pool' would be hard to define. I could see schoolruns exploiting this and then the tunnel would be blocked up every morning.

Thats easy sorted. Adults only. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Thats easy sorted. Adults only. :)

But still hard to enforce..like would you put a manned barrier at the entrance to the port tunnel or what?...traffic chaos! And seeing as there's no layby/hard shoulder in the port tunnel it would be impossible to enforce throughout.

Though I guess you could enforce it at the tolls at the other end. But again under what authority would the Toll staff have in asking passengers for ID?

Sorry I dont mean to be nitpicking - I am just an insomniac and a planning nerd all in one :o

EDIT: If youre looking for examples, you could look at the expressways of Toronto - though unlike us they have the luxury of utilising 10 lane highways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I think they should be let through at half the current rate if they contain four or more people. It would encourage less cars on the road particularly during the Malahide bridge reconstruction.

The idea of the high tolls on the DPT is specifically to encourage cars not to use it. I can't see them doing anything to get more cars onto it especially when you consider that the IFSC aside, the tunnel serves to dump more cars onto just two routes into the the city centre; they being the already chockablock North quay and Castleforbes road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

If you pool a car then I assume you can pool the toll as well, so, in that sense, there is already a discount for car poolers.

So the high toll in itself is an incentive to car pool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement