Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster has visited me Help me Please

Options
  • 29-08-2009 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I hope someone may have some advice on this as I feel angry and fraustrated. I had 2 clown fish, 2 hermit crabs an one lovely Fire shrimp.

all of them doing very very well I regularly changed the water and kept a constant check on the water quality. I gave them a lovel environment to live in the clown fish were so happy together and lots of fun to observe.
    the crabs had changed shell ( house's) twice and the shrimp shed monthly.

I loved them and cared for them and then disaster struck....
    I went away for 3 days and the neighbour had a key for the house to check in...She came that morning and looked in on them and all was well.
    off she went to work as usual ...later that afternoon...
    the bloody electricity in our area went off and stayed off till 7:46 that evening which meant my poor tank dropped in temperature and the filter ceased working. everything died. when it did eventually com on the water was way to cold to warm up sufficiently but they were all dead by then the filter was stuffed as all the residue collected and clogged it.

I found things floating in the tank I never dreamed were in there..

I have lost close to 600/700 euros worth. Can I go to the ESB and claim they cost me my lose of my pets and have my lose re imbursed. I could never afford this again as it was over several years I collected this lot otherwise I could never have afforded it.

Do I have a just case against the ESB . I am so devasted and sick since it happened

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

I have no idea but would your home insurance cover it? Sorry to hear that it happened, especially seeing that you were away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Animals&Pets as it's more of a Consumer issue than a pet issue - if I'm wrong please move it, thanks :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't think the ESB would cover you for consequential damages. Your home insurance might if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Home insurance.

If it was a fault or if you were not notified of the outage, you would be entitled to a payment under the customer charter, but that would be nowhere near the stated cost of your pets, thirty five quid iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you can make a claim if the outage was due to a fault and was for longer than a certain period which i think is 6 hours but may be wrong.

check out this page from the ESB networks website

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/about_us/customer_charter/service_guarantees.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

star-pants wrote: »
    Moved from Animals&Pets as it's more of a Consumer issue than a pet issue - if I'm wrong please move it, thanks :)
    Could be useful to make a separate post in the pet forum, I never would have thought of this happening. You could get a PC UPS unit to use inline with your heater. This is like a battery pack, when there is a power cut it kicks in and can power for a length of time, depending on its own rating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op you cant claim off esb networks, if it was a network fault or improvement. They don't give a guarantee of supply.

You may have a case from your house insurance but i don't know.

Also i would agree with rubadub. I know its a bit late, if you do decide to build a collection again, and its so important a ups system would be a very worth while investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Panda Bear wrote: »
    I hope someone may have some advice on this as I feel angry and fraustrated. I had 2 clown fish, 2 hermit crabs an one lovely Fire shrimp.

all of them doing very very well I regularly changed the water and kept a constant check on the water quality. I gave them a lovel environment to live in the clown fish were so happy together and lots of fun to observe.
    the crabs had changed shell ( house's) twice and the shrimp shed monthly.

I loved them and cared for them and then disaster struck....
    I went away for 3 days and the neighbour had a key for the house to check in...She came that morning and looked in on them and all was well.
    off she went to work as usual ...later that afternoon...
    the bloody electricity in our area went off and stayed off till 7:46 that evening which meant my poor tank dropped in temperature and the filter ceased working. everything died. when it did eventually com on the water was way to cold to warm up sufficiently but they were all dead by then the filter was stuffed as all the residue collected and clogged it.

I found things floating in the tank I never dreamed were in there..

I have lost close to 600/700 euros worth. Can I go to the ESB and claim they cost me my lose of my pets and have my lose re imbursed. I could never afford this again as it was over several years I collected this lot otherwise I could never have afforded it.

Do I have a just case against the ESB . I am so devasted and sick since it happened

mmm just one thing though.. clown loaches etc shoudnt suffer for 1 or 2 days without temp control/filtering. as a matter of fact I unplug my thermostat during the summer and my aquarium goes from 23C to 26.5 (with lights on during the day). without the lights it will stay around 23C and only go lower if the light dont come on again for a couple days. It is a RIO125 (about 120 liters of water). I too have shrimps loaches..
    I really dont think losing electricity for a day could have caused this at all.
    Also, lack of filtration will have a negative impact only after a good few days.. and to cause death probably takes more than a week..
    Sounds to me like water poisoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Any painting and decorating taking place? A friend of mine had built up quite a collection of tropical fish, and his father decided to paint the room while his son was away on holiday, not realising that the toxic paint fumes would wipe out all of the fish.:( Patricide was almost committed on his son's return.

Re the ESB, I was told a while ago that the only customers that get any kind of compensation from them, are commercial customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Davy wrote: »
    Op you cant claim off esb networks, if it was a network fault or improvement. They don't give a guarantee of supply.
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Re the ESB, I was told a while ago that the only customers that get any kind of compensation from them, are commercial customers.

I'll go with the link a couple of posts up from yours, direct from the horses mouth, that completely contradicts what you're saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We have UPS across everything in our office, you can't trust the power supply in this country, I have an ups at home too. There not going to last too long though, on a PC it's about 15-30 minutes, enough to power down servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

cgarvey wrote: »
    I'll go with the link a couple of posts up from yours, direct from the horses mouth, that completely contradicts what you're saying.

I'm only quoting what a "horse's mouth" told me a few years ago when I tried to get some compensation from the ESB. Although it was a business related problem, I wasn't on a commercial tariff, so didn't get any. Perhaps they were just fobbing me off.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Panda Bear

I have made calls to the esb and was told sorry but they are not to blame if some idiot with a digger creates a fault. They have garantees with commercial to restore power in under 6 hoursor so and will take compensation cases for loss. I have further discovered I can insure the tank ans all its content if I ever get back to building it again.

A ups would work but one that last for 4/6 hours os very very costly. most of them are 15/20 min jobs for sites that have generators and handle the switch over so servers and the like dont restart ??.

My tank water was in prime condition as I do keep a constant check on it each week. I have an excel chart which you all are welcome to that I use to store each weeks result. It determine all the crical facters and I see trends from it so I know precisly how to adjust feed and waste and all otehr levels.

I suppose coming back at 3 in the morning after the tank was shut down since about 4 that dayand electric not coming on till 8 or 9 didnt help. the type of tank it was is in that it was in effect its own eco/bio sytem so heating water circulation etc was always going to be a fine balance with one depending on the other. the circulation pump was critical as was the heat.

but I am glad it has at least arouse some awareness and discussion for anyone with tanks and the possibility. Bottem line Insurance I think...thnks everyone

Advertisement