Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Night at the Office - Sunday night from 9pm

Options
  • 29-08-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but I see BBC 2 are showing the entire first series of The Office (the Ricky Gervais version) tomorrow night from 9pm.

Three and a half hours in total so if you were planning on shelling out for the first season on DVD you can save your cash.

Been a while since I've seen the British version so I'm looking forward to this. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Already own them on DVD but will watch them for the introductions:
    An evening dedicated to the entire first series of The Office. Each episode is introduced by creators Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant and fellow cast members Martin Freeman, Lucy Davis and Mackenzie Crook, who talk about the writing of the show and its impact. Celebrity fans Ben Stiller, Matthew Perry, Christopher Guest, Richard Curtis and David Baddiel also praise the comedy, which first hit British TV screens in 2001 and has inspired local versions around the world
    While I was a big fan of both the UK and US versions, 'The Office UK' was strong throughout whereas the latest season of 'The Office US' has been extremely hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I love the US Office and I have only seen one episode of the UK version and I was impressed. I have to agree with you Basquille about Season 5 of The US Office. I was watching Season 5 and Season 3 similtaneously and Season 3 is much funnier (remembers Dwight dressing up as Jim).

Will they be showing Season 2 of the UK version next Sunday?

Dman001 wrote: »
    I love the US Office and I have only seen one episode of the UK version and I was impressed. I have to agree with you Basquille about Season 5 of The US Office. I was watching Season 5 and Season 3 similtaneously and Season 3 is much funnier (remembers Dwight dressing up as Jim).
    Yep.. while the latest season has some high-points (Dwight's fire drill! :D), it's definitely not nearly as funny as it once was.
    Will they be showing Season 2 of the UK version next Sunday?
    Unsure.. but you can pick up the complete series - two seasons, plus the Christmas special - for under a tenner right now.

Two seasons available on Play.com for €6.49, and the Christmas Special on Asda for about €3.50.

For that price, I can't recommend it enough. I paid €15 - €20 for each on release. But worth every penny!

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno why but there is no Office night series 2 in the offing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I see the french version is called Le Bureau

I cant help imagining its something like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I missed Mock the Week on Thursday and was hoping to watch its repeat tonight, but this is on instead.

Anyone know if its been repeated or will be?

Not good. I have 4% left on my Sky+ box, and I have Top Gear, House and 6 Episodes of The Office to record. Looks like I'll have to do the old fashioned thing and watch The Office when it is on:)

Sproston Mock The Week will be repeated on Tuesday at 10.

Believe me when I say you'll really enjoy it Dman.

I've set mine on Sky+ (if just for the introductions).

Just watching this now. LOL at the stamps are legal tender moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watched first two taped the rest, remarkably I had never bothered with it previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I had forgotten how much better than the US version is.

I've said it once - and I'll say it again. I can't even compare the UK / Uk versions.. they're poles apart (bar the name).

What a scene..

PS - but the one thing is that Tim & Dawn's (UK) relationship was portrayed so much better than Jim & Pam (US).

basquille wrote: »
    I've said it once - and I'll say it again. I can't even compare the UK / US versions.. they're poles apart (bar the name).
    Fixed.:) But I do agree. They are totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

basquille wrote: »
    What a scene..

"There is no room 362. Some complaints may be false." LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't know, I much prefer the US version and I know I'm not the only one. There's people who can't stand the UK version but love the Us one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

The key difference between the UK and the US version is that now there is absolutely no need for the documentary crew to be present in the US version. It has turned into a pretty straight sitcom (and is very good at what it does)

In the UK version, even allowing for some "poetic" licence, the documentary crew impacts the actions of the characters to a far greater extent.

Having seen and enjoyed the US office for the past five years, including recommending it to several, nothing it has done compares to the first season of the UK Office. I dont like Gervais in general, but the first season of the Office is a high standard that very very few comedies hit. I needed the reminder last night as to how good it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

The US version may have jumped the shark in Season 6, but the first 5 seasons were excellent. Ricky Gervais is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MayoForSam wrote: »
    The US version may have jumped the shark in Season 6, but the first 5 seasons were excellent. Ricky Gervais is overrated.

Did Ricky Gervais not write the US versions - certainly the 1st 2 series (with Merchant obviously)

Nope, they served as producers. That is all.

I don't think Ricky Gervais is over-rated in the slightest - well, I'm not a huge fan of his live stuff. But he is a stupendous writer.. well, actually.. no, I think Gervais & Merchant are stupendous writers.

'Extras' and 'The Office' have not had a poor episode between them.. the 'Extras' Christmas Special wasn't their best work but it showcased Ricky Gervais's ability as a damn good actor as well as a writer.

Anyone who can write and perform this can not be considered over-rated in my eyes:

• Advertisement

I loved the episodes last night but I still think I prefer the US version.

But there was definitely times last night that I actually laughed out loud which I rarely do when watching the US version.

I loved the episodes last night but I still think I prefer the US version.

But there was definitely times last night that I actually laughed out loud which I rarely do when watching the US version.
    So which is it Dman - Carrell or Gervais? ;)

I do think Gervais is pitch-perfect as Brent, whereas Carrell can be too goofy. But quite different characters it must be said.

Steve Gervais for the win!!!

There are so many moments in the US Office that stick out for me. Phylis' Wedding was one of the most funniest and cringe worthy (in a good way) episodes of a comedy I have seen. Michaels lack of self-awareness is hilarious.

I will have to watch all of the UK episodes to make my mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I think Garret steals the show personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Jip wrote: »
    I don't know, I much prefer the US version and I know I'm not the only one. There's people who can't stand the UK version but love the Us one.

That is very true. I know quite a few people who love the US version, but don't find the UK version funny at all. It just goes to show how different the two are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Despite the fact I loved Steve Carrell on The Daily Show I could never get into the US version of The Office.

I think the reason is because when I watch the US version it just comes across as contrived and made for TV, whereas when I watch the Gervais version it seems more realistic and easier to identify with.

I love the episode with his guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

whereas when I watch the Gervais version it seems more realistic and easier to identify with.

Jaysus, what kind of bosses have you had ?!?

I think what Mr Nice Guy means is that Brent's "needing to be liked by his peers" is easier to identify with than Carrell's "sheer goofiness".

I watched Episode 1 of the UK version and I hate the way the US version basically copied the whole first episode of the UK Office.

I remember when I first watched the first episode of the US Office and I thought that they were trying too hard for Michael to be like David (now I know it was a copy of the UK Office). I'm glad this didn't continue because I like the goofy Michael Scoot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement