Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rounding up?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

I just checked my bioligy paper and I got 79.75%, and I was given a b2:eek: I thought they rounded up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

theowen wrote: »
    I just checked my bioligy paper and I got 79.75%, and I was given a b2:eek: I thought they rounded up?

Yeah I thought that aswell, they dont allow rounding up in maths, but I thought every other subject is ok. I got 89.5% in my biology exam, but after viewing it I found out they forgot 1 whole short question worth 16 marks!!! I got 2 27m in the experiments, 4 57m in the long questions and 4 20m short questions( I think, cant remember). The examiner forgot my other 16 mark short question, so Im going up to an A1 now.:D Isnt it quite obvious from my marks that it is an A1?
    They often dont bother rounding up I heard because they dont want to give out too many high grades. You should defo get that checked though. Its a joke! Its stresses maths is the only subject you cant round up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 medcon

No, they don't round up, the number that goes into the computer in the SEC is the number of marks, not the percentage, and the computer works out the grade from the marks, not the percentage, so an A1 in maths or any other 600 mark subject is 540 or more, not 539 (even though that 539 marks is equal to 89.8%, and so one would presume that it would be considered 90%, and therefore an A1). The same applies with needing 360 marks in the 400 mark subjects (biology, chemistry and the likes).
    That is what my cousin was told looking at her papers last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They round up at Junior Cert., not Leaving.
    Actually technically at Junior, it's not so much rounding up as going back to see can you be got to the higher grade. It's because the JC is all about maximising student success, while the LC needs to be more discriminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

everyone don't count your eggs before their hatched. where you think you should have gained marks there could be parts where the first examiner was generous..

don't presume your getting moved up just because you found a mistake.

saying that, i hope you all do go up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

everyone don't count your eggs before their hatched. where you think you should have gained marks there could be parts where the first examiner was generous..

don't presume your getting moved up just because you found a mistake.

saying that, i hope you all do go up!

Well Im pretty confident Ill go up to an A1, got like 4 teachers to look at it just to make sure, and it was defo a short Question they left out of mine.
    But.......fingers crossed anyway and Ill hope for the best eh? Still wont get me into medicine though but at least that makes me feel better.......ish:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i found a short question in biology where they marked it wrong when it was right,dont mind still got my A1 but they do make mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I got 89.75% in Biology.
    *narrows eyes*

I did, however, get 99.5% in English so if rounding up was in place that'd be a neat 100% for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

bythewoods wrote: »
    I did, however, get 99.5% in English so if rounding up was in place that'd be a neat 100% for me :P
    Jesus Christ, I'm literally bowing to you right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

English 91.5%
    Irish.. dont know because you cant get your oral mark
    Maths.. ddint even bother looking at it even though it came with the other scripts
    French.. dont know because you cant get your oral mark
    Chemistry 94%
    Biology 92.75%
    Geography 92%
    Economics 81.25%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

JSK 252 wrote: »
    English 91.5%
    Irish.. dont know because you cant get your oral mark
    Maths.. ddint even bother looking at it even though it came with the other scripts
    French.. dont know because you cant get your oral mark
    Chemistry 94%
    Biology 92.75%
    Geography 92%
    Economics 81.25%
    I didn't ask for the exact percent you got:cool: Congrats though ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement