Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of replacing head gasket ?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me how much it would cost to replace a head gasket on a 99 1.4 petrol astra?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

irishguy wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me how much it would cost to replace a head gasket on a 99 1.4 petrol astra?

It really depends how bad it is. If the head's warped it'll need to be skimmed, which would cost more. If the head's ok you'd be looking at €250 - €500 depending on the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Confab wrote: »
    It really depends how bad it is. If the head's warped it'll need to be skimmed, which would cost more. If the head's ok you'd be looking at €250 - €500 depending on the garage.

How could any garage possibly do that job for €250?

At a minimum, head gasket, oil, oil filter, timing belt, crank oil seal, water pump and labour. all plus vat of course. Labour, even for a mechanic who knows them well would be at least 7 hours.

To do it right, it should get stem seals, belt kit, head bolts, skim amd crack test too.

How could any garage possibly do that job for €250?

At a minimum, head gasket, oil, oil filter, timing belt, crank oil seal, water pump and labour. all plus vat of course. Labour, even for a mechanic who knows them well would be at least 7 hours.

To do it right, it should get stem seals, belt kit, head bolts, skim amd crack test too.

I've seen it done as a quick fix by a friend, but in reality you're right, it'd cost a good bit more. Forget I spoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was quoted €600 for the head gasket and skimming (including VAT) . Not sure what else that included. Oil + filter were only changed 2 months ago. timing belt and water pump were done about 14 months ago (or so the seller at the time said). This wasn't from a dealer either. Seems a bit on the expensive side then...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I was quoted €600 for the head gasket and skimming (including VAT) . Not sure what else that included. Oil + filter were only changed 2 months ago. timing belt and water pump were done about 14 months ago (or so the seller at the time said). This wasn't from a dealer either. Seems a bit on the expensive side then...

You'd be surprised how quickly the parts would add up.... If your around Dublin you could try Gala Engineering in dunshauglin, they do the skimming and everything in house, so it might be a bit cheaper... Also they re-build engines day in day out... so no one is going to do it quicker...

• Advertisement

No, that's actually not bad, contrary to my previous post. Did you get receipts for the TB and water pump being changed from the previous owner, or was it his word? The previous owner of my brother's Bora swore that the TB had been done at 160k. We only checked the belt cover today (1 year afterwards). It was actually done at 133k :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised how quickly the parts would add up.... If your around Dublin you could try Gala Engineering in dunshauglin, they do the skimming and everything in house, so it might be a bit cheaper... Also they re-build engines day in day out... so no one is going to do it quicker...

Thanks, I have the car down in Limerick now (After driving it from Dublin this morning) so I think ill get it done down here, dont want to chance it on the motor way again.
    No, that's actually not bad, contrary to my previous post. Did you get receipts for the TB and water pump being changed from the previous owner, or was it his word? The previous owner of my brother's Bora swore that the TB had been done at 160k. We only checked the belt cover today (1 year afterwards). It was actually done at 133k

I have a receipt, i got it from a dealer (well a guy with a yard and a few cars). Is there a way of checking when it was done? 76k is written over the cover. So I am guessing its done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

Thanks, I have the car down in Limerick now (After driving it from Dublin this morning) so I think ill get it done down here, dont want to chance it on the motor way again.

I have a receipt, i got it from a dealer (well a guy with a yard and a few cars). Is there a way of checking when it was done? 76k is written over the cover. So I am guessing its done.
    Hey mate, know a seriously cheap place in limerick if you want to get it done. probable be in and around 300-350 including parts at a rough guess. Always use them.

DaMonk wrote: »
    Hey mate, know a seriously cheap place in limerick if you want to get it done. probable be in and around 300-350 including parts at a rough guess. Always use them.

Ya sure I can get a quote anyway who is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hate to stick my nose in,but would it be worth spending all that cash on ten year old car that is prob worth very little anyhow :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

646.33 - A quote I got recently myself but won't be doing it as my car is old (93 VW Golf). Still going strong 2 months since the quote i.e. no oil leaking yet so will drive it till it drops

Details:
    LABOUR: Oil leak from under head gasket remove cylinderhead & check head & fit new headgasket & belt kit - 340.50
    Head Set - 59.02
    Head Skim - 68.10
    Timing Belt - 17.03
    Water Pump - 53.35
    Anti-Freeze red - 19
    Camshaft oil seal -
    Crankshaft oil seal -
    thermostat -
    Engine oil -
    oil filter -

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

Ok my head gasket was gone in my 323f and I replaced it my self. I had it done in less than 5 hours with a lot of dawdling and a trip down to halfords for oil. I've never done it before and i have only basic tools, socket set and spanners, and i borrowed a torque wrench. I ordered all the parts from a website in the uk and this is what it came to

€21 oil 4L castrol magnatec from halfords
    €2.71 oil filter
    €21.75 head gasket
    €19.57 timing belt

I changed more than that like spark plugs, aux and power steering belt but that's all that relates to the head gasket. Putting everything back together took no length and it started first turn of the key. Unfortunately the head was warped (i took a chance on not skimming it) and I'll have to do it again but it so easy i don't know why more people don't do it themselves.

Advertisement