Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Comuting Galway to Dundalk

Options
  • 29-08-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Just wondering the quickest route to Dundalk from Galway leaving Monday @ 6.30am. Motorway or through Mullingar, Kells....

Also returning from Dundalk in the evening at approximately 4.30, which way is quicker.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Bear in mind that you'll pay 3 tolls on the motorway route. Its also a longer drive, and alot more boring. Motorway driving is very monotonous

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Galway - Loughrea - Balinasloe - Athlone - Mullingar - Kells - Ardee - Dundalk

Avoid Motorway Tolls [M4, M50 & M1], M50 Traffic [early morning rush]

But be catious on Mullingar -Ardee [N52], There is a number of known Black Spots along that windy route but it should give a better driving experiance than sitting on Motorways the whole from Athlone.

Do tell us what route you choose in the end and how you got on time wise.

Hope I was of some Assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The N52 between Mullingar and Ardee is bad, especially between Kells and Ardee. Far too many bad bends and if you get stuck behind a truck forget about it, thare are NO safe over-taking streches for about 15 miles!

You will only save about 5-10 mins taking the N52 instead of the M4/M50/M1. the headache you get of driving on a very bad road is just not worth it if extra fuel/tolls are not a problem.
    The 3 tolls do all add up, best part of €7 each way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Im not an expert in how bad the traffic is on some parts but you could cut in on the M4 at Kinnegad and go on the old N4 untill you get to Kilcock and then you will miss that toll. Its a perfectly fine wide road with overtaking spots. I get the bus along the old N4 regularly in the mornings and I usually never hit traffic problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bbk wrote: »
    Im not an expert in how bad the traffic is on some parts but you could cut in on the M4 at Kinnegad and go on the old N4 untill you get to Kilcock and then you will miss that toll. Its a perfectly fine wide road with overtaking spots. I get the bus along the old N4 regularly in the mornings and I usually never hit traffic problems.
    Good point. I drive the N4 regularly, and as long as speed limits are taken into consideration the tolled section will save in the order of 5 minutes.

30km @ 120km/h takes 15 mins to complete.
    30km @ 90km/h takes 20 mins to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

JHMEG wrote: »
    30km @ 90km/h takes 20 mins to complete.

and is illegal on the whole length of the old N4, even ignoring Clonard, Enfield, and traffic lights.

Zube wrote: »
    and is illegal on the whole length of the old N4, even ignoring Clonard, Enfield, and traffic lights.

Indeed, despite the 80km speed limit however most people are sticking to the old 100km limit the road used to have before the motorway popped up.

Traffic light wise you only meet one if you take the Enfield bybass. You only meet one if you go through Enfield but you shouldnt do that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

If you get as far as Kilcock, it is quicker to get to dundalk via / summerhill / Trim / Navan / Slane / M1 and you avoid 2 tolls.

I drive it frequently and it's a good road.

Dan_B wrote: »
    If you get as far as Kilcock, it is quicker to get to dundalk via / summerhill / Trim / Navan / Slane / M1 and you avoid 2 tolls.

I drive it frequently and it's a good road.

I should have remembered that. I went to a debs via that route and I was surprised how good the road was. Some places werent great but overall it was nice. I dunno about time wise though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Yeah, apart from summerhill which appears to have been carpet bombed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Zube wrote: »

Who said it was legal on the N4? :confused:

I merely stated there's only a 5 min difference between 30km covered at 120km/h and 90km/h.

Dan_B wrote: »
    Yeah, apart from summerhill which appears to have been carpet bombed.

It has, it seems to have self destructed in the past few years with road work after road work. The Kilcock to summerhill road is very good now though.

Advertisement