Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arigna miners strike (1968): listen to RTÉ Radio 1 today at 13.05 today

Options
  • 29-08-2009 11:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Any of you into social history or with Roscommon connections, on RTÉ Radio 1 at 13.05 today there is a documentary entitled 'The Long Strike'. Listening to excerpts earlier in the week it sounded fascinating with the local priest threatening the striking miners, instructing theirs wives to vote to get their men to return to work and the priest ultimately being moved by his bishop when the local community stood up to him. The treatment of the miners detailed in it was like something from the 19th century.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/longstrike.html

I was just speaking with an elderly relative from Arigna to tell her about the documentary and what she didn't say about the mine owners - the Leyden family - is not worth talking about. I couldn't get her to stop once she started on about the time. It was still a very emotional issue for her.

Advertisement