Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings and Engagements Up in Recession?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Is it just me or is there a bit of a boom in marriage proposals in the past 12 months? I wonder if the jewellers have noticed any spike in engagement-ring sales? Obviously there is no scientific reason for me to think this, and it might well just be because my peers are coming into the "marrying age" themselves, but it seems that every other day I'm hearing of some old class-mate from school, college, work or just among friends getting hitched. Is it like in times of storm when you thether your boats together?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

It's probaly just like a few years back when you were between the ages of 20 to 23ish and you'd spend every Friday in your local gaa club watching another friend cringe as the DJ desperately tried to get him his 21 kisses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Tax relief FTW!

Oh,and love too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Engagements yes.

Weddings?

No they cost money apparently. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

I got married myself in May. Yeah, you don't make a profit on it. Eddie Hobbs says to invite as many as possible and you'll turn a profit. We had 180 at ours, it cost around 30k and we got a few k less than that in cash gifts. But it's nothing to do with the money, it's a once-in-a-lifetime event (hopefully), so you should be prepared to lose a few quid on it, and if you do, what about it.
    Apparently gift amounts are down on previous years. We didn't really see that too much ourselves but I heard that from the hotel. They do a lot of weddings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Weddings, no, only one of my friends is getting married next year. though there may be another in the pipeline. Everyone sees to be getting pregnant though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I'm going to three weddings in the next three months. And I hate hate hate them. They will be three days of acting on my part once again.

I really can't abide the politics, the bitchiness, the competition, the "having to invite" certain people, the obscene prices and the stress underlying this single day.

There are many sincere and genuinely loving ways to celebrate this day. The average Irish wedding, which is not even the traditional Irish wedding (say it quietly), is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

That'll stop when they see the budget this time round. Child-benefit will be cut back a bit. Not a great time for baby-making.

Our baby boomer generation are reaching marriageable age. /mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm at that age too (29), there probably is a rise in the numbers getting married though because demographically there were a lot of births between 79 and 81/82..

Advertisement