Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of school books

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have just come back from the school book shop with half the books I need for my daughter as she enters 5th year (Leaving Cert.). The total cost for the books was €250, I also had to queuing-up for half an hour for this pleasure! and I have to go back to the shop next week to collect the books that they did not have in stock. I was think that next year and subsequent years (other children) that I may approach the PTA to organize to buy the books from a book wholesaler for either the whole school or just for my children's year. This I hope would reduce the cost and the need to go to the book shop a number of times. Now the only thing is I do not know the names of any book wholesaler's can any body help?
    Thanks skint parent.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gfmason

I ordered by daughter's books for 5th year on-line back at the end of June. It cost €5 delivery and free covering. Three days later a box arrived with everything in it. No queues, no having to go back, best €5 spent for delivery. However, with all her extras my cost came to €398.00 for the books and stationary alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 topdog123

gfmason
    Thanks for the info, but I would like to break up this cosy cartel and I bet you still paid full price! my aim is to deduce the cost for parent's.
    Topdog123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

School book scheme,School buy books in bulk,Give the required books to students,Student's pay €70 a year for this

Therefore 70x300 a year = 21000 which can buy quite a few new books!

If a school started this this year and covered the first years all the way through school,the seconds years till fifth etc they'd get a huge amount of money to buy new books

5x70 =350 x60 21000 1st year students
    4x70 =280 x60 16800 2nd year students
    3x70 =210 x60 12600 3rd year students
    2x70 =140 x60 8400 4th year students
    1x70 =70 x60 4200 5th year students

So if a school covered all the students(say 300) in the school for their reamaining years at the school it would work out at around €60000

If you divide that by €300 for the price of a set of new books after 5 year they could buy 200 new sets of book,From a shop!Whole sale purchase would increase that number of sets.

Also if you look at that,In a whole period in second level education students only spend €350 compared to around €1000 buying books separately

Ricky91t
    Good idea but it still does not answer the basic question where to get the books at wholesale prices, what I need is the names/telephone No. of wholesale school book suppliers!!!
    Topdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Go to www.schoolbookexchange.ie for second hand books.You end up paying around one third/half of the price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Here is a couple of school book publishers:

http://www.folens.ie/

http://www.edco.ie/

http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/

Also have a look at the article, there might be something in it that could guide you.

http://www.independent.ie/education/back-to-school/outdo-the-publishers-cheaper-school-books-1865147.html

Shifty
    Thanks for the info. looks like I need to do more research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thegameguy

ya in my school for 2 years you pay 120 euros for all your books good deal for sure only 2nd hand books out of the lot

Advertisement