Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a Halloween Bonfire Banned ?

Options
  • 29-08-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

With Halloween fast approaching, my neighbours and I are dreading the bonfire in our area.
    The kids use the local county council soccer pitch as the venue for the fire, and use the goal posts to build the bonfire around. This makes the pitch un-playable for the rest of the year.
    Also, I have to have the hose on standby as the fire does be really close to the houses and when the wind blows, the sparks hit all surrounding houses.
    I'm afraid that somebodys house is going to go on fire.

Is there anything that can be done to put a halt to this very dangerous annual bonfire ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You have a Fire Department: walk in and have a chat with the Chief on staff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

why are you typing in bold??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

dannym08 wrote: »
    why are you typing in bold??

Internet shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They're kids. When you see them setting it up, tell them to move it elsewhere.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Internet shouting.
    WHAT WHAT DID YOU SAY?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Leave them be. Its halloween im sick of this nanny state. Im sure that bonfires been going on for years with minimal damage....im sure its going to be the same this year.

Patricide wrote: »
    Leave them be. Its halloween im sick of this nanny state. Im sure that bonfires been going on for years with minimal damage....im sure its going to be the same this year.

I would agree with you here too, but in fairness I'd be pissed if my local football pitch was ruined for the rest of the year

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Overheal wrote: »
    WHAT WHAT DID YOU SAY?

oi, not so loud there's people asleep:(

dannym08 wrote: »
    oi, not so loud there's people asleep:(
    sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irlande_euroluv

Its nothing to do with the nanny state we live in.... I dont want my house burnt down, thats all !! Every year I have to spend the night watching to make sure the sparks aren't catching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Its nothing to do with the nanny state we live in.... I dont want my house burnt down, thats all !! Every year I have to spend the night watching to make sure the sparks aren't catching.
    So ask them to move it a bit away from your house then. I mean theirs always room to compromise i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

1. Wait till the middle of night previous to Halloween.
    2. Get a roll of back bags.
    3. Fill each bag with a few liters of water.
    4. Start removing stuff from bombfire.
    5. Put bags of water inside, high up and low down.
    6. Built it up again covering all bags.
    6. Wait and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irlande_euroluv

That would be great in an ideal world.

So ask them to move it a bit away from your house then. I mean theirs always room to compromise i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

well back when me and my friends had our bonfires we were always asked to move and we never did till 1 year and a few people from the field we had it in asked us to move the fire and we said "why should we" they said"look over where your fire will be see that" well there was electricty poles on it and they asked us nicely and all so we moved it a few yards away nothing caught on fire that was not suposed to so try reasoning with them and try to have respect for them because if you go out to em shouting the odds they wont be too happy and problly egg or mess with your house

Dry ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

yea nothing is allowed anymore in this country thanks to safety obsessed nimbies who seem intent on ruining everyone's fun.

here's an idea, go join the ****ers. Find some more **** to add to their bonfire, go out and enjoy it rather than sitting in your home pondering the worst case scenario and trying to have the Authorities make life nice and placid for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How to get a Halloween Bonfire Banned ?

Have you PM'd the mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

With Halloween fast approaching, my neighbours and I are dreading the bonfire in our area.
    The kids use the local county council soccer pitch as the venue for the fire, and use the goal posts to build the bonfire around. This makes the pitch un-playable for the rest of the year.
    Also, I have to have the hose on standby as the fire does be really close to the houses and when the wind blows, the sparks hit all surrounding houses.
    I'm afraid that somebodys house is going to go on fire.

Is there anything that can be done to put a halt to this very dangerous annual bonfire ?

OP, you don't hear of many houses being burnt to the ground regardless of what Halloween it is.

Goodnight and sleep well.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement