Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grant Entitlement

Options
  • 28-08-2009 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions re: the conditions that apply when going back to college as a mature student.

My story is that i started a degree course in 1999 and dropped out in 2002 without finishing it. In 2004 i started another degree course but also dropped out, this time after 3 months. In the meantime, i joined the guards in 2006 and left in May of this year. What I really want to know is two things:

Does the fact that I dropped of two courses previously and not just one affect my eligibilty for a grant?

And does my training in the Garda College count as an approved course under the guidelines?

If it isn't counted then I would have a 6 year gap in my education which would then make me eligible. Well that's what i've gathered from the websites i've looked at anyhow!

If anybody has any help or advice, it would be really appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

I think that you would be liable to pay tuition fees seeing as you used up your right to free fees before; after attending a third level undergraduate course.

I says it in bold writing in the U.C.C. registration booklet, however I don't know if makes any difference in regards to a grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cmul100

Thanks tony. I think that's the case if i was under 23 but it says on studentfinance.ie that if you are a mature student and haven't completed a course previously and if there is a 5 year gap since doing the last course then you don't have to pay fees and can therefore apply for a grant. I'll just have to make a few phone calls tomorrow to try and find out cause it's all a bit confusing!

Advertisement